New (Additional) Tourist Tax

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suit yourself, but I'm not going to refuse to go to Cozumel over a 10 buck US charge. Color me part of the problem, I guess.

i am not saying anyone should avoid cozumel because the trip costs an extra $10.
my comment was in general response to all the add on fees mentioned above. the basic premise is quite simple. if we agree to pay them, why would they ever go away.
why do you think housing costs in some areas of mexico are so ridiculusly high ? simple. because some idiot is willing to pay it.
i think over all, a tourist destination is making a mistake by adding extra fees / taxes, especially now. if you want more people to come, the last thing you want to do is drive up the cost.
but if they feel they have no choice but to increase the cost, i think they are better to included it in the price.
just my opinion.

i am not saying anyone should avoid cozumel because the trip costs an extra $10.
my comment was in general response to all the add on fees mentioned above. the basic premise is quite simple. if we agree to pay them, why would they ever go away.
why do you think housing costs in some areas of mexico are so ridiculusly high ? simple. because some idiot is willing to pay it.
i think over all, a tourist destination is making a mistake by adding extra fees / taxes, especially now. if you want more people to come, the last thing you want to do is drive up the cost.
but if they feel they have no choice but to increase the cost, i think they are better to included it in the price.
just my opinion.
Same as it ever was, same as it ever was.

just my opinion.

I usually see something on the ballot to raise taxes on tourists and since it's usually for something the locals want, something the locals don't want their own taxes raised on, and tourists can't vote, guess what happens?

I usually see something on the ballot to raise taxes on tourists and since it's usually for something the locals want, something the locals don't want their own taxes raised on, and tourists can't vote, guess what happens?
As seen all over with hotel taxes, etc.

As seen all over with hotel taxes, etc.

Yup. I'm just pointing out that a boycott wouldn't necessarily change how the voters vote. The tourist industry always puts out ads to say it'll hurt tourism, but it doesn't seem to work.

The tourist industry always puts out ads to say it'll hurt tourism, but it doesn't seem to work.
I think there they just say "Yay, more for us."

Yup. I'm just pointing out that a boycott wouldn't necessarily change how the voters vote. The tourist industry always puts out ads to say it'll hurt tourism, but it doesn't seem to work.
That's usually because the tourist industry isn't hurt. In this case I don't think a US$10 charge is going to move the needle for anyone.

The tourist industry always puts out ads to say it'll hurt tourism, but it doesn't seem to work.

Until it does, at a certain point you are going to price yourself out of your market. Maybe another more affluent market will step it, maybe not.

$11 isn't much, even on top of $30.

Here, in San Francisco, the hotel tax keeps getting voted up, and I keep voting it down. Average hotel price is something like $325/night, so it's already expensive for visitors.

Funny you mention that one.........I don't normally pay a lot of attention to the taxes on hotel bills. However, when I last stayed in down town SF, I was astonished at the number taxes on my hotel bill. So much so, that I vowed never to return. Probably mutually beneficial that I won't be returning.

Good to know there is at least one sane person left in that city.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom