NEVER SWERVE A VEHICLE AT SPEED...!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me amend a prior comment. you still do not let off the gas. with rear wheel vehicles the rear tires lock up and the front wheels do not and you go into a spin. With front wheel cars it locks up the steering wheels and turns you wheels to skis. Its the same difference as in sand you hit the gas and you bury the car with rear drive. with front drive hitting the gas attempts to climb out of the rut. Your main stopping power comes from the front with help from the weight shift from rear to front to maintain tire grip on the road./ the rear only is there to keep your but behind you. Pickup drivers know this very well.

How many people still drive something without ABS? Do you really think the back is still going to lock up and come around? Most everything in the past 10-15 years also has (as required by law now) electronic stability control. Which I am willing to bet most have never experienced or knew it if they did. Takes the fun out of sliding a car around, providing you are trying to slide a car around. Takes the terror out of a car sliding around if you are not trying to slide a car around.

I may be old to trust technology on cars, but how many airbags fail to go off? My granddaughter follows too close and drives too fast in town like her parents, rear-ended a car, totaled hers, but wasn't hurt - no thanks to a failed airbag. The one in the pictured car didn't either.

It's amazing how little it takes to total a car these days.

I like you guys . But I own tow trucks. Just close your eyes and nail the brakes. We will clean up the mess.
But do you?

I may be old to trust technology on cars, but how many airbags fail to go off? My granddaughter follows too close and drives too fast in town like her parents, rear-ended a car, totaled hers, but wasn't hurt - no thanks to a failed airbag. The one in the pictured car didn't either.

Easy to total a car, as many have a ton of crumple points that help to absorb the energy of impacts. Downside is it quickly leads to a totaled car, even with a minor accident.

Easy to total a car, as many have a ton of crumple points that help to absorb the energy of impacts. Downside is it quickly leads to a totaled car, even with a minor accident.
Yeah, I realize that. I learned to drive in cars with chrome bumpers, etc. You could push one with a dead battery to start it if the bumpers matched. I had to drill a hole in my current car's "bumper" to mount a license bracket, and it was nothing.

My daughter's household goes thru cars rapidly the way those four drive.

You also have to understand how airbags work. They don't just go off in any collision. The collision needs to be in the designed parameters for the airbag to go off. That picture that started all this, there is no sign of a frontal impact that would set off the airbags. That truck is also old enough that side and rollover airbags didn't exist.

And yes, you can crunch up a car pretty good and not set them off. So she wasn't hurt, the wreck wasn't violent enough to justify setting them off. Not every frontal crash justifys setting off airbags.

Just because you don't understand how they work doesn't mean they are not working correctly.

As for the not swerve, that didn't work that well this morning. Nice fatality where a car plowed into the back of a truck at speed. There was plenty of open desert to run off the side of the road. Highway south of metro Phoenix closed for hours after fatal wreck - KTAR.com

Just because you don't understand how they work doesn't mean they are not working correctly.
Yeah, maybe not. I think the airbag in my granddaughter's car should have activated when she rear-ended a car recently but didn't. (I have a hunch that her phone was a distraction but I'm keeping quiet.) I rear-ended a car once with sloppy & aggressive driving, that airbag didn't go off, and the rental car company didn't bother fixing it from what I saw on the repair order.

As for the not swerve, that didn't work that well this morning. Nice fatality where a car plowed into the back of a truck at speed. There was plenty of open desert to run off the side of the road. Highway south of metro Phoenix closed for hours after fatal wreck - KTAR.com
I have a hunch that that driver didn't brake at all, maybe just aiming his car as he read his texts, but I'm guessing. Veering off into the desert might have saved him while swerving might have made things even worse with another car, but we can't tell. Veering and Swerving are not the same thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom