NEVER SWERVE A VEHICLE AT SPEED...!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
BRAKE HARD in an emergency, but don't try to dodge surprises. I've been told here on SB that modern cars are engineered for such maneuvers, but I don't believe it. Braking and bracing for impact is much safer.

I was driving at a high rate of speed thru the night one time years ago on the way to Santa Rosa NM for more scuba training in the Blue Hole the next day when a huge buck (deer, elk, beats me) came out into my headlights. I braked hard and braced, but when I opened my eyes - he was gone. A FB friend who had already lost one daughter to a diving mishap posted this photo after her younger daughter tried to dodge a dog in the road. As much as I like dogs, they should not be running free and I would have worried about grill damage more than anything, but I wouldn't have tried to dodge. They had to cut the roof off to get her out. Two broken arms and other injuries but fortunately nothing life-threatening. I'm told that she can get herself between bed and wheelchair on her own.

132049810_10158258765318167_2591929504075975487_o.jpg

Broad statement that does not correctly take into account every situation. Swerve might be right, might be wrong, different situations call for the correct response. Not a one size fits all response.

And truly new cars and trucks with electronic stability control can really do some amazing feats of driving. When the technology is banned from F1 because it makes the cars too good... You probably never experienced what a new car can really do, even with an idiot driver.

A frontal crash with a deer can be fatal aswell.
I think it really depends on the animal and the situation.

I learned, to dodge big animals like deers and run over animals like dogs pigs and everything that can go under the wheels instead of above the grill.

Ofc. Try to safe the animal life has priority. If possible.

Thanks I never had to make that decision yet

I learned, to dodge big animals like deers and run over animals like dogs pigs
That elk that scared me that night dodged me well after I broke speed. If I'd swerved to dodge him, I'm sure that I'd have rolled. I don't know that hitting a grown pig would be called a run-over. I've heard of several cars being totaled by pig strikes.

And truly new cars and trucks with electronic stability control can really do some amazing feats of driving. When the technology is banned from F1 because it makes the cars too good... You probably never experienced what a new car can really do, even with an idiot driver.
Like the car pictured?

My car was to safe, so I removed front and rear sway bars.

Much better now.

Depends on the car. My heavily modified (suspension, brakes, engine) WRX helped me avoid a number of accidents. The fourth? Well, the drunk driver got me. Didn't see the t-bone coming.

An EMT friend of mine went on a call in Wyoming and the deer had gone through the windshield and pinned the driver to the seat. EMT's couldn't save him, as the deer kept moving after pinning him to the seat. There's no clear answer if an animal jumps in front of of your vehicle at full speed. I'm glad the girl is okay...

You don’t legally drive a vehicle at “full speed” in the land of the free except on the track.

Broad statement that does not correctly take into account every situation. Swerve might be right, might be wrong, different situations call for the correct response. Not a one size fits all response.

Or an old car with a good driver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom