Neutral empty AL80s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OmarM

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey folks,

I’ve been coming across some AL80s online, from name brands, that claim to be negative when full and neutral when empty. Additionally their real weight is about the same as common AL80s I believe.

How is this accomplished?

Edit: Did some investigating on Catalina’s website and answered for myself. I found that the 3300psi AL80s are the ones that are neutral while empty; and the 3000psi ones are not. Also there is a 3lb difference between the 2.

There is more aluminum in it, and the working pressure is 3300 rather than 3000, so some places will not fill it correctly. It weighs about 3 lbs more out of the water. Also, it appears to be out-of-stock at Catalina....
Not really worth it, in my opinion.

Get an HP 100 and fill it like an LP 85. Better.

There is more aluminum in it, and the working pressure is 3300 rather than 3000, so some places will not fill it correctly. It weighs about 3 lbs more out of the water. Also, it appears to be out-of-stock at Catalina....
Not really worth it, in my opinion.

once you factor in the extra lead for the regular al80, it is a wash. they also don't get as butt light when empty. the skinny al72 is a better tank though, shame they never became popular enough.

Hammer out 4lbs of lead weight and put it in the tank boot of a regular Al80. Presto!

short fills can be a problem with any tank if the shop isn't doing their job right
Well, duh. I guess you've never met a tank monkey who thinks ALL tanks get a 3000 fill, regardless of waht is stamped on them, like 2400 or 3500?

short fills are not the fault of the tank design, but of the LDS. if the place you are getting fills at fills to 3000 regardless of the tank design, then get a lp72. 6 pounds lighter, neutrally buoyant, and with the overfill holds 86cf.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom