NetDoc's Show Blog...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you ever wondered if JFK had made his famous speech in Frankfurt??? "Ich bin ein Frankfurter!"

Yes, I am home and trying to recuperate. I am ALMOST there. :D

Have you ever wondered if JFK had made his famous speech in Frankfurt??? "Ich bin ein Frankfurter!"

Yes, I am home and trying to recuperate. I am ALMOST there. :D

What is the time difference you are recovering from?

I'm a "jelly donut" vs. "I'm a hotdog". Not sure I want to go there! :blinking:

(For those of you who might be a little bit lost: JFK said "ich bin ein Berliner" when it should have been "ich bin Berliner". In this phrasing, a "Berliner" is a jelly-filled donut. Ooops!)

What is the time difference you are recovering from?
I am recovering from 8 hours and FRANKFURT. If you have any disability, you should avoid Frankfurt at ALL costs. Too many planes meant that I had to use STAIRS with my cast on. STAIRS. Then on trying to get to my plane they just ignored me. I had two cars that hauled wheelchairs just pass me by. I called to them with no effect.

In reality, traveling with a wheelchair, crutches or a knee scooter like mine takes a toll on you. Access is not like here in the states and quite often you have to overcome obstacles in order to see things. Red Square was exceptionally tough as the bricks are as rough as cobblestones. There were times when my knee scooter was just useless and I had to hobble. Without great friends around to help, like Peter Symes from X-Ray Magazine, it would have been a lot worse. Would I do it again? YOUBETCHA! But next time, I hope to have TWO good legs.

Glad you made it home safely, and had a good time.

People often forget how many things the US does to try and accommodate the diverse culture we have here, including the handicapped.

I'm sorry you found it not to be as true in some area's, but you made it! Welcome back! How long before you are out of the cast?

NetDoc;
I'm glad you are enjoying Moscow. Keep those photos coming. I went to Moscow in 2003 to present a paper to the Project Management World Congress. The business trip was quite interesting. I spent a great deal of time in the Kremlin looking at the museums and churches. I bypassed looking at Lenin in his tomb as I found this to be a bit morbid. The Diamond Fund exhibit had me drooling at large platinum nuggets and what seemed to be endless cups of diamonds. Did you flip a coin at the entrance of the Kremlin - which is the center of the city? I saw the photos of the ladies dressed in silver outfits and it reminded me of a fun bar I went to called the March Hare where it is New Year's Eve every night. The bar was fun! Also, steer clear of the mystery meats served at breakfast...you may have some digestive distress.

Did you notice that the Russians refer to anyone with a disability as an 'invalid' and anyone from outside of Russia as a 'foreigner'? Have you seen the huge disparity between local rates and those for 'foreigners'. Most Russians I encountered were very friendly and genuine if you look like them. I'll be glad to PM you other information if you would like.

Have fun!!

Back
Top Bottom