NERD2 first experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetb4igetinthewater

Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So this weekend I finished my mod 1 with the Prism 2, and instead of the HUD, I used a NERD2 which was just so incredibly handy. Being able to monitor my pO2 while manually controlling my O2 (yes, normally I won't do that), along with my depth, and the compass was exactly the information I needed.

Rebreathers are quite the task loading, and the NERD2 certainly makes it a lot easier.

And their other trick; a compass in your face.

Do you have two computers on the Prism? One on the wrist and the Nerd?

The Nerd's also AI enabled, so you can use a couple of AI transmitters (different colours or the new (expensive) Shearwater version). This gets rid of the hoses and SPGs from the front of the unit.

I'm loving mine, too!
So here's a thread derailment:
If you have two Shearwaters, what's the BEST combo of displays for CCR diving, making use of the user-configurable fields?
And let's make it even more complex. Like @Wibble, I dumped my SPG's for transmitters. With firmware v84, you can combine any two xmtrs into a single mini field. That then frees up one more field for what?
We've got @+5, SurGF, TTS and lots more.

What's the best display for two units?

@Wibble

I did mention the compass. So nice as we were in the silt flats of the eastern part of the Hood Canal where it doesn't reach 70 feet. The compass helped ensure that we reached our entry point easily.

I'll probably ditch the SPGs and go to transmitters eventually. With the loop hose, manual controls amd SPGs, that's a lot of clutter (for me).. Glad I started with BMCLs.

@Wibble

I did mention the compass. So nice as we were in the silt flats of the eastern part of the Hood Canal where it doesn't reach 70 feet. The compass helped ensure that we reached our entry point easily.

I'll probably ditch the SPGs and go to transmitters eventually. With the loop hose, manual controls amd SPGs, that's a lot of clutter (for me).. Glad I started with BMCLs.

It's odd about the AI. For OC I'm quite ambivalent or even sceptical about AI. For CCR it's great, mainly as gas levels are very much a secondary or tertiary piece of information. Works well on the Nerd.

Small point about Nerd controllers. When off the loop for bailouts the Nerd is awkward to use, so it's a lot easier with a controller on the wrist and the Nerd as a backup computer. For example switching from CC to OC/bailout: easy on the wrist, but quite difficult on the nerd if you're breathing from a bailout (which you must be able to do even if you've got a BOV).

As they say in the UK, Nerds are the mutts nuts. (Mutt = dog, nuts... you get the picture!)

I'm loving mine, too!
So here's a thread derailment:
If you have two Shearwaters, what's the BEST combo of displays for CCR diving, making use of the user-configurable fields?
And let's make it even more complex. Like @Wibble, I dumped my SPG's for transmitters. With firmware v84, you can combine any two xmtrs into a single mini field. That then frees up one more field for what?
We've got @+5, SurGF, TTS and lots more.

What's the best display for two units?

I don't know if this is the "best" but it works for me. I also use an offboard Teric. These settings don't take into account the new features in the firmware, but about 1.5 years ago I put this together:

Shearwater computer settings for a CCR dive

I have made a couple changes since that post:

1. I now run a GF of 50/80 on the Petrel
2. My last stop on the Petrel is also now set to 10' for flexibility but I usually do it at 20'

At some point I'll play with the new software features and update my post.

- brett

Almost perfect.

50/70 :wink:
Interesting blog. I'm going to have to ponder that stuff. Lots going on, but I like the idea of immediately having a comparator for a more aggressive ascent.
I use three as well, now. Petrel 2 controller, NERD1 in place of my HUD (so I'll think about using a different GF there). And Perdix AI on my right wrist with tank pressure and ?what else?

Thanks for something to chew on!

When I got the NERD2 I wasn't the most impressed with it. There was a lot of playing around getting the bracket right. Out of the box wasn't it. I mutilated the bracket. To the point it now sits where I like it and I am now happy.

Few things, more random thoughts, observations, learnings, etc.
After several different trial and errors, Petrel controller on right wrist and NERD on left eye. I am right eye dominate and want to keep that clear view. The NERD sits out of the way not blocking my dominate vision. If I fog a lens bad, get salt in an eye, etc. either eye has a display to look at easily. Both on one side I was having to look around the NERD to see the Petrel.
Always remember to build with a little extra slack in the wire. A little slack is fine, a little tight and it will always be pulling out of viewing angle.
The AI and ditching gauges is wonderful. Slightly more complicated to check pressures during the build, but gets them out of the way as in gone. The logging gives a better data curve to see how and when the gasses are used. How much bouncing around really blows.
The game of deco. Which one racked up more deco? Usually my wrist gets a few more seconds of deco compared to the NERD, but not always.
Might have a wacky cell? put that one in the NERD and you can really watch what it does in a dive.
Tired of trying to keep track of the display cover? Put a flip scope cover on it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07667R6KY
The compass is a pain to use. It is my backup only. I turn my head and look around while diving, compass is all over the place. I can turn my head to get the number I am after, but that isn't the direction I am traveling.

I have done the latest update, but I have not done anything with it yet. Nursing an injured knee.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom