Neoprene vs tri-lam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are lacking flexibility in a neo suit, it more than likely does not fit you properly. My Seasoft moves and if necessary stretches with me. As far as warmth and durability goes, no complaints. I wear 100 gr under suit in 34*F water and remain warm for dives that will last as long as 1hr 10 minutes. Biggest problem with any drysuit is the need for a PEEE vavle!!!!

My neo is 4mm thick, stiff, heavy and bulky. It fits me very well. My LDS has fit the same style of suit for dozens of divers and know what they are doing. I prefer to wear several flexible undergarments under a trilam than a thin undergarment under a bulky neo. But that is me.

I like a pee valve in a drysuit. No way I am going to pee in a wetsuit because I do not want to swim in my pee. If there is enough water flow to flush it when I am diving then the suit is allowing too much water in to keep me warm.

My neo is 4mm thick, stiff, heavy and bulky. It fits me very well. My LDS has fit the same style of suit for dozens of divers and know what they are doing. I prefer to wear several flexible undergarments under a trilam than a thin undergarment under a bulky neo. But that is me.

I like a pee valve in a drysuit. No way I am going to pee in a wetsuit because I do not want to swim in my pee. If there is enough water flow to flush it when I am diving then the suit is allowing too much water in to keep me warm.

Does anyone know what the heck this all means? 4mm thick, stiff, heavy and bulky. Really? Peeing and drysuits should never be said in the same paragraph without the use of the term pee valve!

I think some of the differences of opinion are based on the fact that there are two kinds of neoprene suits. Full neoprene is like a wetsuit with seals and a dry zipper. Full neoprene suits have a lot of intrinsic insulation until you go deep (just like a wetsuit). They require thin undergarments and, depending on the cut and the neoprene, may be quite stretchy and mobile. They are relatively heavy and dry more slowly than laminate suits.

More common are the compressed or crushed neoprene suits. They have a bit of intrinsic insulation, but not nearly as much as full neo (since the gas bubbles that provide the insulation have been crushed in the manufacturing process). They do not have as much stretch as some full neo suits do. They are very durable and resist punctures, but they are relatively heavy and dry slowly. They require a very correct fit, or they significantly impact mobility. Compressed/crushed neoprene tends to be quite a bit more expensive than full neoprene (although the High Tide suits are an exception).

I think some of the differences of opinion are based on the fact that there are two kinds of neoprene suits. Full neoprene is like a wetsuit with seals and a dry zipper. Full neoprene suits have a lot of intrinsic insulation until you go deep (just like a wetsuit). They require thin undergarments and, depending on the cut and the neoprene, may be quite stretchy and mobile. They are relatively heavy and dry more slowly than laminate suits.

More common are the compressed or crushed neoprene suits. They have a bit of intrinsic insulation, but not nearly as much as full neo (since the gas bubbles that provide the insulation have been crushed in the manufacturing process). They do not have as much stretch as some full neo suits do. They are very durable and resist punctures, but they are relatively heavy and dry slowly. They require a very correct fit, or they significantly impact mobility. Compressed/crushed neoprene tends to be quite a bit more expensive than full neoprene (although the High Tide suits are an exception).

Correct. If the air is hot and the water cold it can be quite comfortable to dive wearing nothing but shorts and a t-shirt in the suit.

This is not completely accurate. I dive a compressed neoprene dry suit that is light weight, dries fairly quickly, and provides me with a lot more mobility than my last bilam suit did. It's also a $1000 suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom