Neoprene vs tri-lam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neoprene , I love the smell of neoprene in the morning , actually I feel less bulky and clumbersome in neoprene due to the fact we need so much undergarments up here with tri-lam suits .
Neoprene suits just feel right in the water , op is correct about ten divers ten opinions , It really is a personal thing , whatever works best for the individual .
Should try to rent , borrow , steal before you invest .

As we speak I'm trying to decide what suit to buy I need a MTM due to my odd proportions. I'm tossing up between an O'Three and a Santi. I'm worried about sealing issues using a neo as I have a pencil neck and skinny wrists with pronounced tendons. The Santi would break the bank and possibly result in a divorce which I would survive as long as I'm diving dry.

---------- Post added November 6th, 2013 at 02:08 AM ----------

Just in case you're reading this honey, I'm joking.

Stretchy neoprene dry suits are relatively inexpensive, and they have drawbacks, but they are more forgiving in the mobility and fit department than a shell suit.

An inexpensive shell suit, even it it is made to measure, may limit your range of motion. My inexpensive bi-lam suit was made to measure, but the design of the panels prevents me from reaching back and grabbing the valve on my tank. This doesn't happen if you buy a top of the line Sante suite...

On the other hand, my inexpensive bi-lam suit is fifteen years old and has hundreds of dives on it. I'll say this, they are tough- and dry. My neoprene dry suits were always a bit on the moist side.

IMHO go with a neo. Easy to learn, slick in the water, will take the abuse, very much cheaper usually around 1/4 of a trilam, off the shelf sizes because of their elasticity, no additional cost for expensive undergarments, etc.

Just do yourself a favor, either way you go, get one with socks instead of a suit with boots. When the boots wear out, and they will, you will have to have them replaced. With socks you can decide on any shoe / boot that you like to include Converse shoes that a lot of divers like as well as size. Why is size a sticking point? Because when winter hits you can change to a larger boot when weraing thicker socks and opposite when diving dry during the summer.

Currently I have a neoprene dry suit with neo seals and dry gloves work. I have the Diving concepts ring system. While diving concepts is no more, there are kubi rings that are very similar.

However for my next suit I am getting a trilam mainly for the better flexibility.

I am diving a compressed neo suit and am getting rid of it. It is too heavy, too bulky, takes too long to dry and restricts my movements even with very light underwear. I tried a trilam and loved it. The trilam that I am looking at is 2/3 the price of my compressed neo. I also kind of like the Whites Fusion. With it you can have a tough outer skin (the Bullet), a very light skin (the sport), or something in between (the Tech) and swap between them depending on where you are diving. You can even get a Fusion One for $999 including boots.

You will never getting everyone to agree on what suit to buy. You have to read all the comments, try one a few different suits. Do some test dives. Maybe do a duysuit class then rent several different suit and see what you like best.

You will never getting everyone to agree on what suit to buy. You have to read all the comments, try one a few different suits. Do some test dives. Maybe do a duysuit class then rent several different suit and see what you like best.

Good advice and I guess that is why I have one of each. As I stated before, "for me the dive makes the decision on which suit I use."

Currently I have a neoprene dry suit with neo seals and dry gloves work. I have the Diving concepts ring system. While diving concepts is no more, there are kubi rings that are very similar.

However for my next suit I am getting a trilam mainly for the better flexibility.
If you are lacking flexibility in a neo suit, it more than likely does not fit you properly. My Seasoft moves and if necessary stretches with me. As far as warmth and durability goes, no complaints. I wear 100 gr under suit in 34*F water and remain warm for dives that will last as long as 1hr 10 minutes. Biggest problem with any drysuit is the need for a PEEE vavle!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom