Neoprene vs tri-lam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trpplp

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Neoprene vs tri-lam…pros and cons, as well as durability?? I know that asking 10 people about what Drysuit they like I'll get 10 different answers so give me some input on the good and bad about neoprene and tri-lams. Purpose we are getting a drysuit is to dive in water around 50 degrees. Thanks

I dive a Trilam . and I like the fact that I can dive dry in any water tems by just adding or eliminating thermal gear. In 70* to 80* I wear a t-shirt and bottom skin or a lite base layer . In really cold (low 40's*) I wear heavier thermal w/a good base layer. and temps in be tween jut add or subtract . bouncy tri lam tends to be neutral. the neoprene will require more weieght . and you are stuck with the thermal value the neoprene (thickness )gives you. so you may not want to dive one in 70* -80* water temps. Know this is only in my own view piont

I use both however I do prefer the neo.

with tri lam you can layer up or down to a greater degree so it has advantages in warmer or very cold water.

the advantage of the neo is that you lose less heat or buoyancy in a leak/flood situation.

they both need to fit well especially around the lower half but you can get away with a bit of bagginess in a trilam if you don't mind looking like a bag of vacuum packed eels.

Tri-lam

Pros: generally more flexible/better mobility, drys faster, lighter weight if traveling, insulation layering more flexible as mentioned

Cons: less durable (although my DUI TLS 350 mine is almost 10 years old)

I have had 4 drysuits; 1 Hollis Biodry, 1 Bear supera 9 mil, 1 DUI 350 (currently in use) and 1 ONeil 7 mil. (also currently in use). So which suit do I prefer? The dive makes that decision!
Quarry during summer where bottom temp is around 47 degrees f. The Neo!
Quarry during the winter with outside temp around 35 +/- the DUI.

Lakes and rivers are the same as the quarry

Caves I like the neo better but the DUI has additional features.

IMO:
Neo: pros:

*constant thermial protection, even during a flood but limited by the thickness.
*Almost self venting which is a plus when going up and down in the caves
*No big air bubble shifts or trapping
*Will take a beating and will still work
*Easy to repair

cons:
*It will be wet, takes longer to dry and will freeze if left outside during the winter
*Can't add additional thermial protection outside a thin undergarment like UA
*You need to strip down to the thin undergarment in order to put it on. (I think that I started a trend with friends when I showed up at the dive site with my thick undergarment for the DUI worn under my jeans and jacket. Others showed up and had to strip down and don their thick undergarment.)
*Thicker the suit the more weight is needed
*Requires a larger storage space during packing

Trilam /bilam: Pros:
*can easy change out the thermial protection as needed
*Fast drying
*storage space during packing is rather small
*additional weight is determined by undergarment thickness

Cons:
* big air shifts
*air trapping
*cannot take the same abuse as a neo.
*Floods are a lot worse...to the point of feeling like you are wearing wadders

I hope that this helps.

Neoprene suits are great starter suits. They TEND to be less expensive than trilaminate suits. They require less undergarment. They're not as fragile. They can be quite streamlined, because the stretch allows a closer fit.

Cons are that they lose insulating capacity with depth, which a laminate suit/heavy undergarment combination won't, unless you dive overly squeezed. They are slow to dry. The ones I know come with neoprene seals, which rules out dry gloves (and neo neck seals don't always work very well for women).

Wow! Quite a few different responses here and many seem to contradict each other and also the experiences I've had. I've had several dry suits over the year, both trilam/bilam and neoprene. My favorites have been the neoprene.

Neoprene (and with this I'm referring to crushed neoprene not full thickness) Pros

Provides some degree of warmth whether dry or not
Very stream lined, almost swims like a wet suit
Requires minimal undergarment
Can take thicker undergarment for colder water if sized larger
Also, will not change buoyancy because it is crushed. The neoprene doesn't get squeezed with pressure.

Neoprene Cons

More difficult to find leaks
Heavier to travel with
Longer drying time

Trilam/Bilam Pros

Light weight
Quick drying time

Trilam/Bilam Cons

Bulky/baggy
Traps air/more difficult to control
Requires thicker undergarments
Leaks can be colder

As for my personal experience, my current crushed neoprene dry suit requires less weight than my previous bilam dry suit. The undergarments required to keep me warm in the bilam suit require more weight to sink. The undergarments will crush under pressure and I will get cold in the bilam but have yet to be cold in either of the neoprene suits I've owned. I can fit a 200 gram undergarment under my neoprene suit and stay very warm in water temps down to 42 degrees (probably colder but that's the coldest I've been).

Neoprene suits are great starter suits. They TEND to be less expensive than trilaminate suits. They require less undergarment. They're not as fragile. They can be quite streamlined, because the stretch allows a closer fit.

Cons are that they lose insulating capacity with depth, which a laminate suit/heavy undergarment combination won't, unless you dive overly squeezed. They are slow to dry. The ones I know come with neoprene seals, which rules out dry gloves (and neo neck seals don't always work very well for women).

Some manufacturers such as O'Three, I'm sure there are others, will fit latex seals over the neoprene wrist seal to allow usage of dry gloves.

(and neo neck seals don't always work very well for women).

Good points stated but I have to ask why on the last statement.

---------- Post added November 5th, 2013 at 11:26 PM ----------

My friend has one of these and it seems to mend the best of both worlds FLX50/50 | DUI Online I have one or two suits I'll trade for one of these.

Good points stated but I have to ask why on the last statement.

---------- Post added November 5th, 2013 at 11:26 PM ----------

My friend has one of these and it seems to mend the best of both worlds FLX50/50 | DUI Online I have one or two suits I'll trade for one of these.

Women apparently often have a bigger head to neck ratio which can make fitting/sealing an issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom