Neoprene Drysuit Fitment Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

winte.r

New
Reaction score
I recently purchased a used Bare D6 in medium, and my drysuit specialization is coming up. I am about 5'8 and 170 but long in the torso and really wide in the shoulders. The suit fits well without an undergarment, but with a 200g thinsulate on the arms are tight and the shoulder zipper makes itself known regardless...I can definitely feel it, but I am so broad for my height I don't think anything off the shelf would ever fit. Is some tightness normal with regular 6mm neoprene?

---------- Post added January 6th, 2013 at 03:53 AM ----------

I should add I've tried on a crushed neoprene suit in size large and it felt like I was wearing a trash bag. The D6 I bought feels much better despite the "tight" fit and I have full mobility as DUI recommends on their website.

i would say as long as you have no problem with squatting down and reaching out in front of you,reaching back be hind your head. basically full movement w/all the under garments you will be wearing . you should be OK . Dry suit do not fit like a wet suit . They do tend to feel like a big garbage bag . I dive a tri lam dry suit my arm do get a little snug when I wear my Whites MK3 & arctic base layer. Good luck with your dry suit and class ,Just remember practices practices practices.

---------- Post added January 6th, 2013 at 09:00 AM ----------

All so you may want to take some time and fill out for profile . and let every one know more about you ,what kind of diving you are doing/going to be doing . and training you have dive sights you have been to . all this will help others to give you better advise on question you may ask in the future . Dive safe

Being a foam suit you can call on it to stretch for a little bit of mobility and end up with suit that swims real nice.

That being said you need to be able to make all of the usual motions including donning and doffing fins in full gear dujour with0ut feeling like you will tear it apart at the seams.

Be honest with yourself realizing that many divers are not off the rack folks and it's not all because of too many super sized meals. This is adaptive gear, do it right.

Pete

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll try to find a thinner alternative to a 200g undergarment, I think it might be overkill anyway with 6mm neoprene. I thought I was going to die of heat exhaustion after having it on 10 minutes in my house. I think I can deal with the shoulder and arm tightness, it doesn't impede my mobility beyond creating a little bit of resistance that is easily overcome. Since my ultimate plan is to find a way to move permanently to Hawaii, I think I'll pass on having a custom made until I'm ready to buy a good wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom