NELD get-together overnighter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not deep, but rocky in places. Makes for long lobster hunts.

Lovells.jpg

Here's another view, showing that there's sand pretty much all the way around the island. For those up for the short hike to the western point in the middle of the island, it looks like "deep" 30' water is only a dock-length swim away.

Yeah... too bad they took it when the water visibility was low. In some other areas, you can see the bottom topology pretty clearly.

MSilvia:
Yeah... too bad they took it when the water visibility was low. In some other areas, you can see the bottom topology pretty clearly.

Billions of tax dollars and they can't get a clear shot of the lobster for us. The jet is cool though. I hear there is treasure on this island as well. Actually if I remember it was a sunken ship that was covered by sand and eventually ended up buried under what is now part of the island. Rowe Snow has a story in his Islands of Boston Harbour or some such book.

Yeah... the Magnifique wreck. She was a 74-gun French ship of the line that was going to be a gift for the new American navy in the late 1700s. The American pilot bringing her into the harbor was late in getting the crew to react to a shifting wind, and the Magnifique ran aground on Lovells. Her armaments were salvaged and fitted to the comparably sized warship America that was just finishing construction under the supervision of John Paul Jones. When congress decided to make the America a gift of apology to France, Jones was so upset he resigned his comission as admiral, and sailed off with the French crew aboard the ship he had built.

The pilot, who later became Deacon of a Boston church, never quite lived down the reputation as the guy who wrecked the Magnifique. Graffitti was occasionally found scrawled on the church door, along the lines of the following: "Don't you send this ship ashore, like you did the 74".

When the Narrows were widened (ironic, no?) and dredged in the 1800s, the Corps of Engineers raised a number of quality ships timbers that were believed to have been part of the wreck, and a later attempt at salvage yielded a quantity of copper sheathing. You'll occasionally hear reports (which I personally believe are a big steaming crock of BS) that people snorkeling/diving in the western cove on Lovells have come across stacks of cannonballs. You never know though... keep an eye out.

I believe the last coins that were found that may have been from the wreck were in the old lighthouse keeper's garden on the island (likely buried there for safe-keeping).

That's all off the top of my head, and I make no particular claims to the accuracy of the information. It's just the way I remember it from my wreck research file.

Be a good place to take my own boat so I could have all my tanks and contraband....

Wow talk about recall. I thought I may have even got the authors name wrong. It would seem odd that they salvaged the guns but left much else of value. Hmmm maybe I am off the mark about the wreck being under part of the island. I may be confusing this story and the coins in the garden with another. Any way keep your eyes open I hear there are cannons off the coast of MA. Oh yeah and Rowe Snow liked a bit of a tall tail so take his stories with a grain of salt. They are always based in fact but rumor becomes part of the record in his books.

ScubaNorth:
Oh yeah and Rowe Snow liked a bit of a tall tail so take his stories with a grain of salt. They are always based in fact but rumor becomes part of the record in his books.

Agreed. I don't know if he coined the following phrase, but it is certainly applicable to him:

"Don't let the truth get in the way of good story telling."

I've read a bunch of his books and they sure are fun to read and speculate about the stories.

LobstaMan

PS Matt you've got some total recall going, baby! Nice memory and good job on your research.

Back
Top Bottom