NELD get-together overnighter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSilvia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was just looking at some info on the Boston Harbor Islands the other day, and it occurred to me that Lovell's Island might be a great spot for an overnight diving/camping trip. It's one of the outermost islands, but it's easily accessable from George's Island (you can get to George's from Boston/Quincy via inexpensive ferry). It has swimming beaches with varied terrain, camping and other facilities, and you can have fires on the beach up to the high tide line.

I was thinking it might be fun to get together there for an overnight trip. We could do a "find dinner" dive from shore, then cook what we catch on the beach. After a little digesting, we could even do a night dive.

What do you think? We're about due for a social get-together, and I think it would be a nice change of pace from meeting at a bar.

You could also charter a City Water Taxi boat (www.citywatertaxi.com) for about $13 p/person (one-way) if you have 10 or more ppl. They seat 30 but figure gear and 15 ppl.

I was just thinking it might be cool to meet some of these other NE Divers. At this point I think my buddies and I are the only people who dive Cat Rocks at least in the winter. We can't be the only tools who feel the effort to get in and out is worth generally good vis and 80' of depth from a shore dive?!? Last Sunday there was no parking available at Folly and again not a soul at Cat. Nutty....

--Matt

I never have understood the appeal of Folly... it's nice, but I haven't seen much there to make me think it's better than any other site up there, especially since the parking can be a PITA.

Good idea about the water taxi, but the regular ferry is only $12 round trip with no minimum number of passengers, and includes inter-island travel.

MSilvia:
I never have understood the appeal of Folly... it's nice, but I haven't seen much there to make me think it's better than any other site up there, especially since the parking can be a PITA.

Good idea about the water taxi, but the regular ferry is only $12 round trip with no minimum number of passengers, and includes inter-island travel.

$12 RT is the better deal then. I know with Water Taxi you can schedule the time you want and there would be no issue loading up dive gear. With Harbor Express you have to follow their schedule and I don't know if rolling gear into the boat is a problem or not. Assuming yes, the price is better for sure.

I dove Folly once this winter. Three of us were diving and two had scooters. We went all the way around the point on the left side to about 65' of water. That was a fun dive but I'm not a huge fan of Folly in general.

Without looking online...camping is definitely allowed at Lovell's?

--Matt

Sounds like a blast to me. Depending on distances, I could ferry a couple folks at a time in my boat too. Count me in.

I'm game. Get to combine two of my loves, camping and diving.
Paul

Sounds like fun, Matt. Keep me in mind.

Jimmie O

I'm game pending the time/date fits my crazy work schedule.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom