NELD 2009 Lovells Island Trip - July 18 & 19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Matt. I just email Stu O'Leary actually and he was telling me about you all...Lobsterman and Yak...I'm trying to meet a few others to dive with as I'm not getting out enough :)

Sadly i don't have a boat but me and my girl are game nonethelesss to build a raft and try to get out there :) I hate to ask but have no choice to ask who has a boat? I've got plenty of camping gear and will do my share to participate, just need some help figuring out what to do...

Sadly i don't have a boat but me and my girl are game nonethelesss to build a raft and try to get out there :)
I've got plenty of camping gear and will do my share to participate, just need some help figuring out what to do...

That's the spirit! The surest way I know of to get out there without a private boat is to take a ferry ride. There's a good chance that at least a few people this year are going to go that route. My wife and I are likely to be among them. Details are at Boston Harbor Islands Visitor Guide || Explore the Islands

Passenger ferries leave from five locations:

* Boston at Long Wharf has frequent service to Georges and Spectacle Islands, with FREE service between them. At Georges, connect to other islands for $3.00.
* South Boston at EDIC Pier has limited service to Thompson Island, with FREE connections to Spectacle Island.
* Quincy at Fore River Shipyard serves Georges Island, with FREE connections to Spectacle and $3.00 service to other islands.
* Hingham at Hingham Shipyard and Hull at Pemberton Point have frequent service to Grape, Bumpkin, Peddocks, Georges, and Lovells Islands, with FREE connecting service to Spectacle Island.

Consult the park ferry schedule (PDF), or call 617-223-8666.

To return to the mainland, check the schedule and retrace your route. Make sure you leave your island in time to make connections to return to the mainland pier where you started your trip.
Ferry Costs

In summer, we offer two-island or six-island round-trip fares from Boston and Quincy; from Hingham and Hull a round-trip six-island fare.

Contact Harbor Express for the latest fare information or call the park at 617-223-8666. The round-trip park ferry costs $14 for adults from all points. Multi-ride, family, senior, and group rates are available. Water shuttles from Georges to most islands have an additional fee of $3.00 for unlimited one-day rides.

* Adult: $14
* Senior (65+): $10
* Child (ages 3-11): $8
* Children under 3 yrs: FREE
* School groups (per student): $8
* Family four pack (2 adults & 2 children): $42

Last edited:
Jeff's boat is pretty much full. Jim, do you have room to bring any additional divers out? How about you Bobby? Are you bringing yours?

My wife and I would love to get out on one of the boats for a dive, but if there isn't room, are any of the other boatless divers interested in looking into a charter? I'll be out with BHDC on April 4th, and if there's interest I can see about that.

Thanks Matt for sending this info to me! Can't wait I am confirming myself (Erin) and Nick! Not sure of the details for getting over there, unfortunately I can't offer any boat services but would love to know more if anyone has room available on their boats!
Looking forward to it!
Erin

Jill and I are planning on heading over on the ferry from Hingham or Hull. You and Nick should plan on coming with us... I think the round trip ticket will only be $14 each.

That sounds great! Are you heading over Friday or Saturday? What can we help bring otherwise.. Camping/cooking gear, food, beverages? My choice would be Friday but I haven't confirmed it with Nick yet. I will also check in with others interested and have them post so you can get a head count!
Cheers

Since I have never been to the island forgive me for a possible stupid question. I assume no vehicles and its a matter of trying to lug everything over, take only what u need, etc? Now as far as how many dives we do I have 2 tanks, do we take off one day after they're empty, hit SSD in Quincy, go refill and come back? Forgive me as I have never done a trip to the islands so I'm clueless how this all works....I assume me and my girl would get over there friday right after work, have to check the ferry schedule. I'd be game for a charter as well, why not if we had enough people.

And oh matt, I'd also be game with meeting up with you and heading out together from Hingham or Hull...

Last edited:
Jeff's boat is pretty much full. Jim, do you have room to bring any additional divers out? How about you Bobby? Are you bringing yours?

My wife and I would love to get out on one of the boats for a dive, but if there isn't room, are any of the other boatless divers interested in looking into a charter? I'll be out with BHDC on April 4th, and if there's interest I can see about that.

I'd possibly be game for a dive on the 4th if there was room. I have F1 that night at 7pm so as long as I'd be back by like 3 or so I'd be interested...

Looks like there's a good possibility of filling up a charter boat on Saturday. I would recommend that you guys look into that, as boat space is at a premium.

I usually just dive on Saturday, and I'll be bringing my usual 3 tanks. Last year we got blown out when we tried to go back out for a third dive on Saturday evening, so some of the guys dove on Sunday morning.

Shore diving is an unknown, we haven't tried it. There may be some options on the backside, but there's a lot of boat traffic to contend with. The front side has beaucoup boat traffic in the channel, including big ferries, although according to Matt, there's a wreck out there somewhere.

Are you heading over Friday or Saturday?
We'll probably head over on saturday morning, after dropping the baby off with her grandparents.
What can we help bring otherwise.. Camping/cooking gear, food, beverages?
Yeah... that all sounds good. You should bring dive gear, camping gear, a change of clothes, some food that will go well with seafood (or replace it if we don't catch any), and drinking water. The trick is doing that AND packing light.

I assume no vehicles and its a matter of trying to lug everything over, take only what u need, etc?
Correct.

I have 2 tanks, do we take off one day after they're empty, hit SSD in Quincy, go refill and come back?
Go for it if you want to, but I'm planning on doing two tanks and calling it a day. It would likely take several hours, and you'd have to coordinate the refill trip with the ferry schedule and of course pay for a second round trip on the ferry.

I'd be game for a charter as well, why not if we had enough people.
Cool... I'll see what we can work out.

And oh matt, I'd also be game with meeting up with you and heading out together from Hingham or Hull...

You're welcome to, but we I probably won't be out before the first ferry on saturday.

I'd possibly be game for a dive on the 4th if there was room.
I'd love for you to join us, but the boat's already full. I'll ask the crew if they'd be interested in helping out with the island thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom