Trip Report Roatan Trip Report - July 2019 at AKR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CosbySweater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I went down to Roatan in mid July with a Scuba Club I'm affiliated with in Virginia. We spent a week at AKR and had a great time. Our group was 29 divers large, of all experience levels (some new divers doing check out dives, a few snorkelers, an instructor, an assistant instructor, two newer DM's (myself included), some seasoned vets, and a bunch of divers in the middle). Below, I will try to highlight some of the points of interest for anyone considering a trip to down to Roatan, specifically AKR.

Travel: We flew Delta and connected through Hartsfield-Jackson on our way to Roatan. The customs process in Roatan took about an hour. Most of the Saturday inbound flights arrive within a two hour window so the airport and customs can get hectic. Customs officers were pleasant and efficient. The process is typical to other Caribbean countries. AKR staff were on site to help shepherd our bags through screening and get them on the truck. AKR had a bus waiting for us and got most of our group on the same bus. A few folks had to "wait" for the next bus which was in queue in the airport parking lot. The bus ride to the resort is about 15 minutes. Once at the resort AKR got all our bags to our rooms. Overall AKR did a good job of speeding up an otherwise slow and sometimes painful process, especially for a group as large as ours. Leaving the resort was just as painless - just leave your bags outside your room and AKR will make sure they make it to the airport. Give yourself plenty of extra time to check-in and make it through customs and security for your departing flight. It is a very slow process. I'd recommend 2.5 hours minimum.

Food: The food at AKR was good. I found it better than other all inclusive dive resorts I've been to. A few folks in our group had specific dietary restrictions that the kitchen was able to accommodate. They do menu service (not buffet) but you can have as many plates as you want (including to-go). Alcohol is an extra charge. The only thing I wish they had was a (free) little fruit and snack bar for between meals. They had a snack shop on site but you had to pay for snacks. If you plan ahead you can grab a few extra pieces of fruit or a little box of cereal at breakfast to snack on later in the day.

Accommodations: My girlfriend and I splurged and stayed in a Key Superior room. It was worth it. We were on the more windward side of the Key so the breeze was super nice. The room was spacious enough for two, the deck was really nice (I napped in the hammock almost every day), and everything was cleaned every afternoon. There's not much more you could ask for. There's a small beach on the Key with kayaks and paddle boards available for use. I actually ended up going for a morning swim from the beach before breakfast (I also swam across the channel to the "mainland" a few times - watch out for boats if you try this!)

Paying for Stuff: The resort has a "pay-by-room" system where you can charge everything to your room and pay at the end of the week (including alcohol). You can also choose to pay for stuff via cash or credit. Most places on the Island accept USD or credit cards.

Diving: I did 19 dives over six days. The typical daily dive schedule is: a morning dive at ~8:00am, a late morning dive at ~10:15am, and an afternoon dive at ~2:00pm. On Tuesday and Thursday nights they do night dives which leave the dock at sunset. On Monday we did a trip to the South end of the Island to Maya Key which modified the typical schedule a little bit. The boats are well outfitted for diving. My party was on one of the 42 Pros (the non-fly bridge boats of the AKR fleet) and I found them to be safe and comfortable for our group (I think at most we had 13 divers on my boat). Our Captain and DM were awesome - super friendly and engaging and extremely knowledgeable about the dive sites. Our DM showed us stuff we would have never been able to find on our own including pipefish, toadfish, octopus, and seahorses. The diving was top notch- The reefs are very healthy with a diverse amount of marine life and I don't think we ever experienced visibility below 70 feet. Water temps were consistently 82F. Surface conditions can be challenging if you're not comfortable or experienced entering or exiting the water from a rolling and pitching boat (particularly on the South side of the Island). If you listen to your DM's briefings you will have no problems, though. Plan ahead if you're prone to seasickness (dramamine/bonine doesn't work if you're already sick). Below are brief descriptions of a few of my most favorite sites:

El Aguila: The closer of the two wrecks that AKR dives, El Aguila is a 230' cargo ship that sunk off Utilia and was moved to its current location in 1997. It sits in 110 feet of water and is broken up in three pieces. Visibility was ~100 feet when we dove it. The wreck is inhabited by large, friendly black grouper and dog snapper who like to follow divers around. There are a couple neat swim through at the stern of the ship. Lots of interesting soft and hard corals live of the mast. The wreck is easily accessible from the reef making this a really fun deep dive and shallow "reef roving" dive all-in-one.

Bear's Den: Bear's Den is a typical Roatan dive profile with the addition of a really neat cavern swim through beginning at about 30 feet of depth and extending for ~120 feet down to about 50 feet of depth. The rest of the reef is very pristine and is covered in hard and soft corals (including a few elk corn colonies), and tons of wild life.

Smith Bank: Apparently we got really lucky because not many visitors to the Island get to dive Smith Bank due to sea conditions. It's located on the South side, sort of near the airport (and near the shark dive - Marco's Place). It's a shallow bank covered in fields of lettuce and Staghorn coral colonies. I've never seen so much healthy Staghorn in my life. We did it as a drift and got almost 80 minutes of bottom time. It's a really beautiful site with lots of macro critters and other interesting marine life (we saw a small school of squid!).

We also did the shark dive which I recommend if you're in to that sort of thing. It is an extra charge and it's kind of "touristy" but I found it fun and exciting nonetheless.

Parting Thoughts: Overall, our group had a great experience with AKR. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. I found them to produce a good product at a good value. My gf and I are already planning a trip back in March of 2020. The healthiness of the reef, the diversity or wildlife, and the exceptional visibility make Roatan a must-dive for any serious diver.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Thanks for the great write up! My wife and kids were down there for July and I joined them for the last week. While we don't use AKR, I can attest to the rest of your observations.

For our family we prefer non all inclusive, so we choose to stay in a house ("garden cottage") close to West End, walking distance to the dive shops and town etc. We stop at Eldon's supermarket on the way in from the airport so that we can stock the fridge etc.

Sorting through my pictures now, and the reef is certainly in good shape. Glad to read your report on Smith Bank, will have to look in to that as 1) we haven't dived that site before; and 2) there may be a possibility of harvesting some of the Staghorn for a coral restoration project going on in the Marine Park.

The wreck, Bear's Den and shark dive we've done and enjoyed, especially Bear's Den!!

While my wife and I are heading to Bali in 6 weeks, we will be back on Roatan often. We've been going there for 5 years now and like it so much we have recently partnered and bought the cottage we stayed in this year. Our children really enjoy diving there and staying close to West End. The Marine Park is doing an excellent job preserving the reef and are always looking to improve their work and the reef system.

We've been told by numerous DM's that have worked around the world, that we've been spoiled by learning to dive in Roatan, and that the conditions in the majority of other places do not combine to be quite as good. Not sure how true this is, but we'll find out about Bali in September!!

I too prefer non-all inclusive when travelling with a smaller group for the flexibility (and in most cases the price). It's nice to be able to be on your own schedule and cook your own food at home. For a large group like ours, AKR worked well.

If you have the opportunity to dive Smith's, I'd highly recommend it. It's a really unique site.

Let us know how Bali is. My club may be doing a trip there next summer so I'm interested in hearing other divers experiences.

Excellent detailed report. We've been to AKR 3 of last 4 years. We also generally avoid AI but go to AKR for the sheer convenience of having everything in one location and it runs smoothly like a well-oiled machine.

Just one Black Grouper at El Aguila? There were about 5 of them in 2015, including one Yellowfin and one Black Grouper with an interesting black side of his face.
16686950803_73d8c83cfc_o.jpg 17281258436_4bcba527e9_o.jpg 17306750321_19c2cd05d9_o (1).jpg

Either that black face is common or I've seen that grouper every year. Maybe both.

Nice report. I liked AKR when we went. We stayed on a BOGO with NS RT flights from DFW to RTB on FF miles… Made for a very affordable dive trip. We stayed in a key superior as well. Food was a-la-carte, so it did not feel as much like an AI to us. We also hired a cab to town for a liquor store trip.

Thanks for the detailed report. Do you have any pictures to share?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom