Negative buoyant fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I misread miked post. I thought he said jets not twins. So my question is which is the most negatively buoyant twin jets or jets ? both with spring straps

The solid paddle fins are negatively buoyant by quite a bit; the splits are negatively buoyant, but quite a bit less. Classic Jets with spring straps may be just the ticket; they work for me.

did you ever have leg buoyancy issues

has anyone every actually measured any of these fins u/w. just a question, I mean we all know that Jets are negative (as are many other fins), but it would be very helpful in answering these qeustions if we knew just how negative the fins are. ie weight them u/w. someone that has a fish scale and a selection of fins. of course, measured in salt water would be best.

Great suggestion. Anyone with weight information please.

Newbie, try to find one of those weighted tank boots. In addition, purchase two things; a pair of Mares Avanti Superchannel fins and a Mercury weight set. Install the weights by drillng the fins and inserting screws. Make a small metal or plastic plate to support screw heads.

About the naturally neg buoyancy fins, even a heavy set is only a couple ounces negative. Waste of time.

Pic below is Mares Avante Tre with weights (spearfisherman's trick to avoid splashing).

Attachments

• 103_0358.JPG
    103_0358.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 240
Thanks for the advice but not sure i want to drill into my fins.

I have a pair of scuba pro jet fins and they are stones. Much heavier than other fins I have tried. However, they are about the fastest fin I have ever used. I don't use them when I take the camera because they tend to get me too close to the reef. If I expect to do some swiming or am in a bunch of current that I expect to fight, I take them.

has anyone every actually measured any of these fins u/w. just a question, I mean we all know that Jets are negative (as are many other fins), but it would be very helpful in answering these qeustions if we knew just how negative the fins are. ie weight them u/w. someone that has a fish scale and a selection of fins. of course, measured in salt water would be best.

You are talking about 2 different things now. Buoyancy in water is one thing, and weight is something else. I can attach and inflate a 250 pound weight bag to an anchor and it will be neutrally buoyant in water, but try to put that on your feet and kick with it.... NOT!

Its not just the buoyancy of the fin that matters, it is its overall weight regardless of it being in or out of the water. You still need to move that weight in the water. The heavier the fin, the more force is needed to move the fin in the water, regardless of its buoyancy in water. It still has mass, and that tires a diver. An efficient fin that has less weight is optimal. Now, I understand if you want the heavier weighted fin for trim, but my advice is to adjust your tank position, and use a lighter fin.

did you ever have leg buoyancy issues
Yeah mine sink. FYI Grey ScubaPro TwinJets and Atomic Smoke on the Water are positive.
To stay sunk in freshwater – 1# (to get them sunk was 15# :D) Small Twins are 4#, Med Smokes are 4#8oz.

Back
Top Bottom