Need wetsuit "Brand" advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lee Taylor

Crusty old diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
200 - 499
I own a Farmer John, Harvey brand wetsuit, and a Farmer John Oneil brand wetsuit. Both are 3mm suits. They have shrunk and I have gained weigh so I am planning to purchase a 3mm Jumpsuit. I may opt out for a 3/2 mm Jumpsuit. I am currently focusing on Aqualung and Cressi brands. I would like recommendations on which brand you recommend and why? I am not sold on Aqualung or Cressi, I am still shopping.

My advise would be to worry less about brand and more about fit and feel.
All the well known brands make a reasonable quality suits but it needs to be right for you.
I have Tilos 7-6-5, Akona 3mm and H2O shortie suits my wife likes Pinnacle and has a 7mm as well as a 3mm her shortie is XS Scuba. Different models from the same brand vary in materials and can change the fit and feel.
Most people can wear an off the rack suit but those with shapes outside the average may find less choices that work for them. My wife and I both fit this catagory and our suits are Hyper/Super stretch types.
The manufacturer size charts are only guidelines and there is a large amount of variation in the sizes or numbers so go try on suits until you are happy.

I have a Bare 7mm and a Henderson Instadry for full suits, a Henderson 3mm shorty, a Bare diveskin, a Aqualung Hood and Vest and Oceanic booties. I would go with any suit that fits well and has features that you like. Tilos are good quality and pretty inexpensive as well. I haven't worn Cressi but I did rip my Aqualung hood and vest in the armpit area after 8 dives.

I agree with RAWalker...fit is more important than brand. Overall comments indicate the hyperstretch suits may not perform as well as normal suits since they stretch more....tends to make them less warm. But if you need one to fit, then that is the priority.

Don't think you have to spend top money on a wetsuit either.....I was shopping for a 7/5 a year ago and found a Tilos 7/5 Titanium for $129 on unrealfind.com......it is a PERFECT suit, perfect fit and maybe the most inexpensive I could find. Very rugged and durable. checkout the entire Tilos line, and no I'm not a rep. They offer lots of 3 and 3/2 mm suits at budget prices.

Good snug fit is what is going to make it work, and unless the sewing/workmanship is shabby, wetsuits are pretty much wetsuits.

My two cents.

I agree with Rawwalker and Diverdave, fit is most important. After fit, Henderson makes a great wetsuit.

I own a Farmer John, Harvey brand wetsuit, and a Farmer John Oneil brand wetsuit. Both are 3mm suits. They have shrunk and I have gained weigh so I am planning to purchase a 3mm Jumpsuit. I may opt out for a 3/2 mm Jumpsuit. I am currently focusing on Aqualung and Cressi brands. I would like recommendations on which brand you recommend and why? I am not sold on Aqualung or Cressi, I am still shopping.

I try to stay with EVO...reasons, fairly inexpensive and lifetime warranty ie if it goes out, you get a new one, IMO can't beat that........I buy mine thru these people.....see link

Find the Perfect Scuba Suit and Scuba Wetsuits

I have a Bare 7mm full suit with the 7 mm farmer with integrated hood. Definitely fits me well and keeps me warm. I cant complain.

I recently bought a Henderson suit. Don't remember the name of the model but it wasn't gold core or hyperstretch (it was the cheaper model)

What a total piece of crap! It was crushed and destroyed after just one 3-day trip. I immediately returned the suit and got a refund. It was super comfortable and soft, but worthless! Also multiple seams were unraveling too.

Find the brands that offers the materials and construction that you want. Then find the brand that offers the most sizes near your size. These are the ones to focus on. Once you find the ones that fit you, look at the price and warranty. That one is your perfect suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom