Need tips for installing power inflator o-rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are easy to rebuild, and the orings are pennies,
you can get just the whole button assembly and just have a spare, and swap it out. Don't need to remove it from the bcd hose,,,

You US guys can get parts so cheap...
So maybe its worth replacing the whole thing.

They are easy to rebuild. I carry several rebuilt ones on a group dive trip, switch them out for folks, and bting their's back to rebuild for the next person.

What do you recommend to people? Keep the one that is rebuilt or replace soon?

They are easy to rebuild, and the orings are pennies,
you can get just the whole button assembly and just have a spare, and swap it out. Don't need to remove it from the bcd hose,,,

The one that I replaced was an older proprietary one on a Zeagle BCD for the kids. That one was ok to replace, but I'm sure the newer ones I have will need to be rebuilt sooner than later.

Does anyone rebuild periodically or do you just wait for it to act up?

Wait till they act up, it has alway leaked
When I push the button,
I get some bubbles when I push the button....
that outer oring is what normally goes, for me...

I have two dive buddies who had uncontrolled ascents because of power inflator problems. One got seriously bent and went to the chamber. So I'm more inclined to do annual preventative maintenance than wait until I notice a problem.

I have two dive buddies who had uncontrolled ascents because of power inflator problems. One got seriously bent and went to the chamber. So I'm more inclined to do annual preventative maintenance than wait until I notice a problem.
That's why in the very first pool session in your OW class you learn to disconnect the power inflator hose.
Then you immediately forget it.

That's why in the very first pool session in your OW class you learn to disconnect the power inflator hose.
Then you immediately forget it.
Yeah how many people actually practice this after OW..?
I know I don't... not normally anyway,

But I probably would just shut down my LH post, then disconnect... depending on the type of dive...
With thick gloves it can be a pain to hook up, but disconnecting is not to bad,

But I probably would just shut down my LH post, then disconnect...
In which case you might end up at the surface or above your deco stop depth, and can then leisurely disconnect at the surface....
The point is, think it through now, and practice it, and know which you are going to do before it happens...not be faced with two alternatives in an escalating bad situation.

Any tips welcomed.
You might be talking about a different Oring from this. When I'm rebuilding my metal inflators I use a McDonald's Plastic straw that is slit length-wise and then push the Oring around & up the straw till it hits the proper position. PIcture below. Works like a charm.

20190126_111045.jpg

You might be talking about a different Oring from this. When I'm rebuilding my metal inflators I use a McDonald's Plastic straw that is slit length-wise and then push the Oring around & up the straw till it hits the proper position. PIcture below. Works like a charm.

That's exactly the o-ring I was talking about. Thanks for the tip! I love this technique!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom