Need tips for installing power inflator o-rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyWombat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I bought a kit of o-rings to service a power inflator. Getting the new o-rings on has been a challenge. I can't seem to get the small 006 o-rings installed on the small internal stem. I'm using a plastic pick, but I have a set of 3 brass picks I could try.

I have 2 bullets for installing o-rings on LP and HP hoses. Those are great. Are there similar ones for power inflators? Or, is there a tool I should use besides a plastic pick?

Any tips welcomed.

Quite some people here don't like to work with SS Picks, because they are worried to scratch the chrome surface of the regs or parts.
I like to use them, because the steel is very thin and strong.
Especially for the removal or installation of small o-rings they work for me best.
For the stubborn o-rings on the inflator stems I wouldn't know anything else to use.

Attachments

• SCUBA TOOLS CATALOG 2020.pdf
    101.2 KB · Views: 82
I'll use a thin, sharp brass pick and slip it between the oring and shaft. I push it so the point is way past the o-ring, and then use the shaft of the pick as a lever to wind the o-ring over the ridge into the land in a spiral motion.
No, there's no good bullet for these yet.

I was under the impression that it was better to replace as opposed to rebuild the inflator?

Do you guys rebuild them?

Depends upon the brand...

I was under the impression that it was better to replace as opposed to rebuild the inflator?
...as a matter of fact, I have a new one with your name on it. PM me and we'll talk $ :-D

...as a matter of fact, I have a new one with your name on it. PM me and we'll talk $ :-D

Sent

I just have the common K inflator used by Halcyon and others. I assumed rebuilding it was worthwhile.

Idk.. I've read on here a lot just replace. They're inexpensive, $18 @ DGX, and that's the 1st place I looked.

If others do differently please share. I hate throwing away anything that can be re-used. I still have a leaking inflator sitting on the work bench.

Sent

Idk.. I've read on here a lot just replace. They're inexpensive, $18 @ DGX, and that's the 1st place I looked.

If others do differently please share. I hate throwing away anything that can be re-used. I still have a leaking inflator sitting on the work bench.
They are easy to rebuild. I carry several rebuilt ones on a group dive trip, switch them out for folks, and bting their's back to rebuild for the next person.

Back
Top Bottom