Need Suggestions For Diving In Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jackconwaytulsa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We are headed to Cancun in 2 weeks and were wondering if there were any good suggestions about diving in cancun. Have heard to goto Cozumel instead b/c viz is much better etc, but just wondering if I can get a few ideas from some other divers and or maybe some good crews/companies to try and hook up with out there?

Thanks!

Unless you like big boats with dozens of divers where they rush you into the water, I'd stay away from Aquaworld.

Cozumel is a lot more laid back than Cancun with more small operators. Underwater, I didn't notice much of a difference between the two places. If I were going to go back just for diving, I'd probably choose Cozumel over Cancun.

When I first went to Cancun, I found out the diving is much better over in Coz.
I did a couple dives around Cancun, then ended up taking a bus and ferry to Coz a few times. The moment I jumped off the boat over Palancar reef, I realized I'd made a serious mistake in choosing Cancun as a dive destination.

Hi jackconwaytulsa,

As fishoutawater suggests, Cancun is not a scuba venue in the sense of Cozumel. Rather, diving there is a minor side activity to a massive topside tourism industry. It also is not blessed with the reef structure and salubrious currents of Coz.

However, while unarguably not a dedicated dive destination, the diver who ends up in Cancun should think seriously about taking advantage of what it does have to offer u/w. In this regard, you may wish to check out Manta Divers (http://www.mantadivers.com/) and Solo Buceo (http://www.solobuceo.com/diving.htm). Both can arrange day dive trips to Coz and the cenotes, and I suggest that you consider doing both if you have the time.

BTW, if you are intermediate level or better, try to get to dive the wrecks of the Ultrafreeze and Tulum. Probably be easiest to arrange with Solo Buceo.

Happy holidays and have fun.

DocVikingo

Email Ben at benrmooney@yahoo.co.uk. He has two fast boats, one holds twelve the other eight divers. Never been to Coz and from all the posts I'm sure it is. However, the diving in good around Cancun.

He'll cater to your experience level. If you don't have one, you may want to consider a 3mil to take along. The weather has been less than normal.

Happy diving!

If you're going to stay in Cancun, consider Scuba Cancun. They are an excellent dive outfit for not only local dives, but day trips to Cozumel and the cenotes as well. We dived with them, a couple years ago, and found them to be a great bunch of people. I would highly recommend them.

Jcsgt:
If you're going to stay in Cancun, consider Scuba Cancun.

They also can make you an awesome kick-tail music video of your dive. My husband's video from SC was the incentive I needed to get certified. I had snorkeled above, so I was already feeling a little jealous of those people down below me... the video only cinched it. Have watched it a hundred times or more!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom