Need suggestion for restaurant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nyprrthd:
Especias is our favorite restaurant in Cozumel. Adrian is a fantastic host.

I suggested Guido's because I think it has a more romantic ambience. The OP did say it was a special anniversary dinner.

I love Especias, too, and Adrian is a great guy. My only caveat is that I would not recommend it during a norte. We went there last May during a rare late spring norte, and stuff was blowing off the tables. There must have been a 15-20 knot wind blowing through there. It sticks up over the rooftops in the neighborhood and it is open air, and boy howdy was it ever!

ggunn:
I love Especias, too, and Adrian is a great guy. My only caveat is that I would not recommend it during a norte. We went there last May during a rare late spring norte, and stuff was blowing off the tables. There must have been a 15-20 knot wind blowing through there. It sticks up over the rooftops in the neighborhood and it is open air, and boy howdy was it ever!

Well, that doesn't hold true anymore. He has his wind "flaps" (for lack of the correct term) now. He has them down most of the time right now, and especially during a norte. So it's only open air when he wants it to be open air. They don't flap around either, they actually connect somewhere and are stable.

Christi:
Well, that doesn't hold true anymore. He has his wind "flaps" (for lack of the correct term) now. He has them down most of the time right now, and especially during a norte. So it's only open air when he wants it to be open air. They don't flap around either, they actually connect somewhere and are stable.

That's great! I asked him when we were there if his awnings would lower to block the wind, and he said no. It was really windy in there; stuff was blowing all around, and we were cold. Whodathunk we'd have needed long pants and sleeves in May? That was some pretty weird weather for Cozumel.

Does anyone have any experience with CAPI NAVIGANTE ?

It's got a special recomendation in the Michelin guide and they are usualy right on concerning food.

Oh yeah! Nice place, watch for the banana flambé presentation...it's better that Aquarios used to be. They pour the flaming rum down a curly peel of orange rind onto the bananas.

A little pricy compared to a local eatery...but not really that expensive and has good food.

One night in June a storm kicked up when we were at Especias (I think we ate there 3 times that trip), and Adrian rolled down the side panels. When the storm passed, he rolled them back up. It's a nice touch, and a way to maintain the open air feel.

He told us that the entire roof can be rolled up in case of another hurricane. Roll up the "walls" and roof, move out the furniture, seal off the kitchen, etc with plywood, and ride out the storm.

Drink enough Xtabentun and you won't care anyway.

cabio:
Does anyone have any experience with CAPI NAVIGANTE ?

Yes, it's on my short list. The Shrimp Capi is especially good; they cook it at the table in butter, garlic, brandy, and Pernod. The stuffed squid is another great entree there. Capi is somewhat pricey, but the fare there is excellent and they have dishes there that you won't find elsewhere. I recommend it.

No one voted for Casa Langusta (lobster house),way north in "old Cosumel".. Are they still around ??

Johnny's Gallo Blanco on Rosado Salas and 15th ave.
Great food, fair prices- and if you get Johnny to sit with you for a beer- some of the greatest stories you'll ever hear.
Craig-

Back
Top Bottom