Need Someplace that sews pockets on wetsuits.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timten

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Everyone,
Has anyone had any luck getting someone to sew pockets on wetsuits, in the bay area. I was quoted $100 per pocket which seems high. I know if I glue them on it would last as long or look right. Thansk,
Tim

I have used Aquaseal to put pockets on 5 suits now including my GF's. None have come loose and that's after 5 years on one of them and over 4 on two others. Sewing is not a good idea unless the seamstress is very good with neoprene as the usual practice is to not go all the way through the suit since that will not only compress it but put lots of tiny holes in that will weaken the area.

Second with Jim, you dont want to sew it on wet suit.
Go to home depot and get DAP Weldwood original contact cement. (not a big can water based one, but in a small 4oz glass jar)
It cost about $4 enough for 1 pocket. do not go light on contact cement as both sized must be well covered with it. i normally pick 2 cans.
I know PB300 or Aquaseal will work but be about 5times the cost.

put a suit on, measure where pockets would go mark it up. put some books inside of a leg to make it flat and glue em all up.

on dry suits i glue pockets first, then take them to my local cobbler. :) $20 a side, then aquaseal it.

I am with the rest. I would never pay for pockets to be sewn on. I have 4 wetsuits and a drysuit all with pockets I glued on. Done properly, it will last a long time. I glue mine down first with the brush on cement and then use the Aqua Seal tube to go around the edges to give it a clean finished look.

How about those water shorts? They transfer to new wet suits quite easily.

Sent from my DROID X2

I would try O'Neils in Santa cruz...or Otter Bay in Monterey...I personally prefer to let the experts do it...

Heatwave in Santa Cruz sews pockets for $60/pocket last time I checked.
Their pockets are made of neoprene though. Still very sturdy and long lasting, but they only have one grommet drain hole at the bottom and no lanyard.

If you're looking to install a lanyard in your Heatwave pocket, you'll either have to do it on the bottom grommet or ask them to install a second one higher up so you can tie off a bungee lanyard.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom