Need some opinions on Mares please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guitar_lord

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone:D

This is my first post. Im brand spankin' new to the scuba world and I need some educated opinions.

Ive been getting a lot of great advice from a local dive shop who sells Mares brand everything.
They have given me some really good deals on lots of stuff, but I wanted to know if Mares is a relatively decent brand in most peoples eyes? Or should I be looking at some alternatives?

I just purchased a brand new Mares Proton Metal 1st and second stage reg. Seems nice and rugged (havent used it yet though)
I live in Canada so we have pretty cold water compared to most places (this is why I opted for the metal reg)

I'd appreciate any feedback
Thanks - Brian

An exellent choice. Mares has been used by many deep divers, many who have made depth records, due to its suitibility for cold water.

(And of course, Mares makes the best fins too.)

yeah I got some used Mares fins from the same place for a pretty good deal too... They arent the new Volo ones, but they work pretty well!

Hi guitar_lord nice screen-name :),

For what it's worth I have a Mares MR12 rebel with the rebel octo and mares gauges.
I've done about 5 dives with it at varying depths, down to a maximum of 100 feet and it's performed flawlessly in every position, doesn't breathe wet at all :D.

Granted I dive in warm water solely but from the reviews i've read and the fact that it shares the proven MR12 first stage, don't think you could go wrong with it for relatively warm (non freezing) waters..
BTW, I have a UK magazine in front of me here (BSAC Dive Magazine, december 05 issue) in which the author went to an expedition in Antartica and they used Mares Abyss regulators which performed without problems.

I'll give you a link on a recent review of it in Scuba Diving Magazine performed fairly well in their ANSTI tests.

http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/regulators/2005's_best_new_breathers/5/
http://dive.scubadiving.com/PDF/200506GR_breathers_chart.pdf

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

I have a 2004 model abyss, i've had it to 180 feet and it worked as good as it does in 12. I like it a lot, but recently switched to an Apeks atx50/ds4 for tech applications. If it wasn't for the tech stuff, i'd never have made a switch I plan on using the abyss for singles however!

Mares is a great brand. My only caution would be to make sure you try on different BCs prior to buying. You have to decide if you're going to get a jacket style, back inflate, or go with a BP/Wing setup. Whatever you decide, don't worry about brand name so much as fit and comfort in the water.

If your LDS wants to make a package deal for you of all Mares stuff, cool....as long as it all fits well and is comfortable in the water.

Awesome... well that makes me feel a lot better.
My concerns were that they were just advocating for Mares because they are a dealer and Ive never even seen other brands so I was just curious..

thanks for all the input guys/gals!
Peace!
Brian

Another good cold-water choice is the Sherwood Blizzard. Lots of shops here in the GTA carry it.

Cheers.

I heart Mares regs! They are simple bullet proof regs that go the distance. You won't win any popularity contests with them, especially on this board, but they work when you want them to. I own 4 Abyss and an MR12.

My GF and myself own Mr12 proton regs and took them down to 50ft in 50F water without any problems... I dont think they would have much of a problem if you go deeper. I cant say about colder because I never took them that in lower temps then 50F but im sure they would work fine... if not you can always enviromentally seal them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom