Need some help, please, with Mexican travel documents......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry. I was referring to the FMM card as the visa. Technically up 180-day visa is free. But the FMM (Forma Migratoria Múltiple) that everyone must obtain in addition to the visa has a fee for stays over 7 days. As far as I know it always has.

Mexican Tourist Cards (FMM) 2021

Your link is a 3rd party advice site not an official govt. site. It links to a government site, which if you had ever actually used, would know has no payment processing whatsoever. You can put whatever dates you want but the officer upon arrival is who will determine the valid length of the visa.

Furthermore, if you look on your airfare receipt you should see something like below, showing the tourist fee is included in the fare.
Airfare: 222.00 USD
U.S. Transportation Tax: 38.20 USD
Mexico Tourism Tax: 29.27 USD
September 11th Security Fee: 5.60 USD
U.S. Immigration User Fee: 7.00 USD
U.S. Customs User Fee: 5.99 USD
U.S. APHIS User Fee: 3.96 USD
Mexico Departure Tax: 41.79 USD
U.S. Passenger Facility Charge: 4.50 USD

Be aware that there are fraudulent websites parading as official ones for this very purpose. You’ll enter all your info and get a meaningless confirmation. You think that you’re done but you’ve just been scammed.

Check the website’s authenticity before inputting DOB, Passport #, etc.

How to Tell If a Website Is Legit
  1. Verify the Website's Trust Seal. ...
  2. Does It Have the Padlock with HTTPS? ...
  3. Check the Contact Page. ...
  4. Check Whether the Company Has a Social Media Presence. ...
  5. Don't Click on Links Within the Body of an Email. ...
  6. Look for Spelling or Grammatical Mistakes. ...
  7. Use the Google Safe Browsing Transparency Report

Your link is a 3rd party advice site not an official govt. site. It links to a government site, which if you had ever actually used, would know has no payment processing whatsoever. You can put whatever dates you want but the officer upon arrival is who will determine the valid length of the visa.

Furthermore, if you look on your airfare receipt you should see something like below, showing the tourist fee is included in the fare.
Airfare: 222.00 USD
U.S. Transportation Tax: 38.20 USD
Mexico Tourism Tax: 29.27 USD
September 11th Security Fee: 5.60 USD
U.S. Immigration User Fee: 7.00 USD
U.S. Customs User Fee: 5.99 USD
U.S. APHIS User Fee: 3.96 USD
Mexico Departure Tax: 41.79 USD
U.S. Passenger Facility Charge: 4.50 USD
So 61.4% in taxes and fees ?

Apparently the FMM is only for land travel. So if you are flying.... never mind.

No the FMM is the one for a flying tourist too. There was a little stink for a while with the people avoiding getting their legal residence and INM giving them less than a 180 day visa, but I haven't heard the cheater complaining about it lately. It weird 7 days would be free when the airlines collect a tax on everyone? Must be weird land vs air rules.

You never know with INM. My wife flew alone once, pre-residency card, and the guy yelled at her for having too many visits and told her to immediately go to INM in Cancun and apply. Which you actually can't do, you have to do it in the states first.

Then I got told by ALOT of people that with permanent resident card, I could use the Mexicano line, from people that said they do it in Coz all the time. So last time, I was going to ask. I was in the regular line and the Southwest girl that was checking paperwork actually pulled us and said we could use that line (the completely empty line). She dragged us over and we stood on the line waiting to be called. The INM called another SWA guy and made him come see who were were. He took our stuff and showed it to him. like 10 feet away. Then came back and said you can't use this line why are you here? I told him the other SWA person brought me here. He went back the INM guy who said, ok come through but don't do it again. only Mexicanos.....

Oh course the LAST person that told me said they had one PR card and bunch of tourist family and EVERYONE went through that line no problem....

Never the same way twice right?

And dont get me started on the MX version of Trusted Traveler.... TON of money and time and it never ever worked. But Mexico has my retinal scans.....

And if you get your PR card the Airline with refund all those tourism taxes!

So 61.4% in taxes and fees ?

In this case, but it is' not really pct based. Most of the fees are fixed so the lower the airfare the greater pct that fees will appear. If they gave you the ticket for free, you'd still have to pay about $140 in fees. Which anyone who has flown on miles knows firsthand.

In this case, but it is' not really pct based. Most of the fees are fixed so the lower the airfare the greater pct that fees will appear. If they gave you the ticket for free, you'd still have to pay about $140 in fees. Which anyone who has flown on miles knows firsthand.

Yea, really. The wife flys 'free' on the SWA companion pass, but the fees an all are close to $80 or so. We actually flew domestic to TX last month and it was $11 for her.

I realize that is a third party site. I used it for informational purposes because it had the clearest explanation of the FMM requirements. The Mexican government site Instituto Nacional de Migración - Forma Migratoria Múltiple is clear as mud. But I've used it. I use it every time I drive into Mexico and it will charge a fee for a stay over 7 days (you can pay online or you can choose to just print the form and pay when you get your passport stamped). If you don't want to stand in line three times (once at immigration, once at the Banjercito to pay the fee and get a receipt, and again at immigration to show your receipt so you can get your visa) then you pay online. There is no third party involved. It's just the Mexican government.

I realize that is a third party site. I used it for informational purposes because it had the clearest explanation of the FMM requirements. The Mexican government site Instituto Nacional de Migración - Forma Migratoria Múltiple is clear as mud. But I've used it. I use it every time I drive into Mexico and it will charge a fee for a stay over 7 days (you can pay online or you can choose to just print the form and pay when you get your passport stamped). If you don't want to stand in line three times (once at immigration, once at the Banjercito to pay the fee and get a receipt, and again at immigration to show your receipt so you can get your visa) then you pay online. There is no third party involved. It's just the Mexican government.

Maybe if you follow the Land option, if you follow the Air option you will not be prompted to pay anything. OP clearly indicated they were arriving at Cancun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom