Need RI infor/advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will leave a post on what I find.....but like the other members have posted before....searching and catching tropicals makes for a very slow dive....I usually get 90 or more minutes of bottom time. The butterfly fishes hang out in mid to bottom water and hide in cracks and behind sea weed. The groupers are on the bottom and so are the big eye's. The eel grass will also yield sea horses, big eye's and the file fishes. Just move very very slow and pretend you are looking for a lost diamond. The plus is that you will cover a smaller amount of area but see more stuff then you ever realized was there.

Scott

Here is an update to my Dive last night (Tuesday night) First...the Environmental police stopped by and verified we had a dive flag, otherwise the dive was going to be canceled. Truth be told, when collecting and diving at Wetherill at night, I rarely tow a flag. Figuring, if I am sticking to the walls and you are a boat, you are going to crash into the granite cliffs above me first and sink down on my head. So when they asked for a flag, I remembered I have a fold up spare that I use on the mast of a VHF antennae when I am on a boat....I showed it to them and they said that was fine...no float, no light on it...just folded up into a ball...go figure.

Anyway...Conditions were almost perfect....it was low tide, but clear skies and no wind whatsoever. Visibility turned out to be over 15 feet in some spots...besides the usually suspect for New England, I caught and/or saw:

8 Spotfin butterflies - saw another 8 or so
2 File Fishes - Saw about 6 additional
1 Lion fish - about 3 inches long
1 Short big eye
1 gouper
1 mystery fish - I need to classify him
1 Cardinal fish
AND.....one Octopus...I didn't catch him.,..but he was certainly very cool....

I almost ran out of bags to put them in...so......if you are considering looking for tropicals...they are still there...water temp was about 62 degrees and the tropicals are pretty good size this time of year...making them a little easier to make the transition into the aquarium.

Scott AKA Divedivediver

Hi Scott-
Where exactly were you when you saw all these fish? That's a great take! Way to go.

I like to dive the west cove (boat launch side) and work either side. Last night I worked the left side on the entry did about 40 minutes in that direction and turned around for another 40 minutes. So, I had a total of 80 minutes and I left the water with over a 1000 psi. Its a very slow and methodical dive. If you want, call me to discuss and we can go over the tools techiques and tricks.....203 214 9147. Its kind of an art and science....I saw/caught all that stuff and was with two other divers who saw only three tropicals among themselves.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom