Need new mask running out of ideas..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know I'm in the minority but I still love my ESA! The negatives are, it's big, and bulky (compared to many low volume masks). On the plus side, never leaks (for me), able to view my gauges easily, and has good peripheral vision so I can keep an eye on students.

..The Mares Lirica, it almost clears itself!! also I use Dive Optics and they fit in the lower corners nicely. they are out of my feild of vision, but there when I need them. I just picked up 2 masks for spares. Leisure-Pro had a deal going that I couldn't pass on!!

Problem I have with the Lirica is that it's a bit on the high volume side. The X-Vision has almost a similar field-of-vision as the Lirica but is very low volume.

Well I see nobody mentioned the mask I just bought and I love it. It is a Tilos. not sure of the model name I have a mustashe and my other masks always leaked. I was on a dive trip in Florida and I went to a lDS looking for a new mask the guy working there had a mustashe also and recomended this mask and it is completly leak free. I finally enjoy diving now and dont have to fuss with my mask all of the time. Look into the Tilos if you can find them but like it has been seen on almost every post in this thread the fit is what will make the mask.

I have a SeaVision mask and I love it. It has the pink lenses. It makes everything very clear and colorful underwater. You don't even notice it until you take off you mask and the colors aren't as vivid anymore. My DB has yellow lenses and he is equally pleased.

make sure when you are testing a mask in the shop that you put a regulator in your mouth . The presence of a regulator changes the position of your top lip and so a mask that seemed to fit when tried on may not fit when you actually go to use it with reg in place.

Also, if you are having problems with masks then the best mask for you is the one that fits. Don't be too fussed about brand name or special features, the most important thing is that it fits! My wife tried a couple of expensive masks which leaked badly when she used them in the water. She ended up buying a $10 rubber mask in a camping shop and it fits perfectly and never leaks!

BD

Here's another vote for Oceanmaster. I have the Z2 -- low volume, very comfortable strap, well built. My dive buddy has the same mask and a totally different face shape and it still fits her. It tried some others like the Mares X-Vision and they leaked for both of us (though the vision was good).

Blue Space:
I recently purchased the Mares X Vision great fit in the shop but once under water it starts to slowly leak. Needless to say I need a new mask, Anyone have any suggestions?
I was checking out the Seavision mask and they seem pretty cool anyone use these? Just looking for some new idea's.

Maybe you can tighten or *loosen* it a bit and get better results. Also, when trying a mask for fit do it with a regulator in your mouth. It sounds obvious but it can make a big difference.

Do you have facial hair?

R..

CALI68:
I had the same problem with my X-Vision so I got rid of it. I got the AquaLung Mythos and it is without question the best mask I have ever owned. A 10 in all mask related catagories.

http://www.technisub.com/eng/maschere/mythos.htm

Hi Cali68,

I'm in the market for a new mask as well and the Mythos sounds like a good choice. I have one question, probably a stupid one....Does the raking of the lens throw off your ability to line things up, specifically for underwater photography or in my case videography?

Thanks,

Jeff

I just bought the TUSA Visualator and it works great. I've tried several and always had problems of one sort or another. I like the deep lenses. Now I can actually see the zippers, buckels, D rings, etc. on my BC without a concentrated effort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom