Need new mask running out of ideas..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theskull:
3. Do you slightly press the mask against your face before entering the water and then NOT exhale through your nose during the dive?

Like to see you do this and hit 60+ feet, it would be sucking your eyeballs out their sockets :)

Essential:

1. The most important thing to look for in a mask is how well it fits your face. It could be a great mask but may not fit your face. They'll simply leak if they don't fit properly. Don't go by brand, try to go by fit.

Nice to have:

2. Low volume is nice to have because you get wider vision and it's easier to de-flood.

3. Black is a good color because the clear tends to turn yellowish with age. An aethetic thing.

I am fully satisfied with my Cressi Horizon. No leakage, great view also on your own belly (and equipment). Only thing is, it doesn't do great things for your looks :wink:

At first I thought my X-vision leaked as well duruing my forst 2 dives with it... then I noticed that I was exhaling slightly through my nose... apparently I've been doing this for quite a while with my older mask (Mares Vedra) but the X-vision's skirt seems softer and will not tolerate as much as other masks. Sometimes you also have to figure out how it fits on your face... wearing it higher/lower than you normally do can solve the leak.

The greatest benefit about the X is the downward angle of the lenses, I can now glance at my SPG while it's still clipped on my hip without much effort. This also helps when glacing backwards through your legs, since you don't have to tuck your head down as far.

I know what you mean. I tried the Cressi Big Eyes and while it gave me great field of vision, did leak a bit on "my" face.
I have since gone to the X-Vision and love it. I notice on one set of dives that I was getting a bit of leakage after not shaving for a couple of days, but I'm very happy with the X-Vision.

I could trade your X-Vision for my Big Eyes if you like to try that one...

I love my Big Eyes, but it will leak if I don't trim my wiskers. It will also leak when I laugh.

Remember to put a reg or snorkle in your mouth when testing fit of a mask. It changes the shape of your face.

CALI68:
I had the same problem with my X-Vision so I got rid of it. I got the AquaLung Mythos and it is without question the best mask I have ever owned. A 10 in all mask related catagories.

I agree with you 100%. I got one and I am trying to get another one, it seems that every shop/online retailer runs out of them very quickly.

Just bought the Big Eyes, after trying at my LDS. My previous mask leaked terribly. The wider skirt on the Big Eyes seems to fit a lot better. I was convinced in a matter of minutes. Out of curiosity, what other masks woould be suitable for those of us with wider faces?
Larry

jplacson:
At first I thought my X-vision leaked as well duruing my forst 2 dives with it... then I noticed that I was exhaling slightly through my nose... apparently I've been doing this for quite a while with my older mask (Mares Vedra) but the X-vision's skirt seems softer and will not tolerate as much as other masks. Sometimes you also have to figure out how it fits on your face... wearing it higher/lower than you normally do can solve the leak.

The greatest benefit about the X is the downward angle of the lenses, I can now glance at my SPG while it's still clipped on my hip without much effort. This also helps when glacing backwards through your legs, since you don't have to tuck your head down as far.
I had the same problem. Back in November, switched from a 4 window to the X, did a side by side comparison in the store, and it seemed to have a wider view than even the big eyes. Had problems leaking on the first few dives, but now it went away. Probably for the same reason you mention, although I did adjust it slightly after those dives too.

I saw that review on the Mythos, 10s across the board.

Back
Top Bottom