Need new mask running out of ideas..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love my Oceanic Shadow ICE. They have 3 different "sizes" and the frameless design makes it super light. Give it a look and see what you think. It does take a little getting used to though, because you can't over tighten it or it's sure to leak.

pipedope:
I love my Big Eyes, but it will leak if I don't trim my wiskers. It will also leak when I laugh.

Remember to put a reg or snorkle in your mouth when testing fit of a mask. It changes the shape of your face.

Arrrrggghhh, I should have read this post before buying my new Mares X-Vision...

I went to the my LDS and asked to try the X-Vision and it fitted my face, apparently...

I went to the pool to master some Rescue skills and noticed that if I removed the reg from my mouth when I put it back the mask started to leak...

After this I started to trying find the reason why this was happening and started to work on different possibilities but without success...

One day I decided to do the reg recovery skill in front of a mirror (I felt stupid, I must admit it) and noticed that when I opened my mouth the expression of my face changed and the mask started to leak...

No need to say that if I smiled the same thing happened...

I think that I will return this mask to the LDS, the owner is a friend, I will try some more mask and I am pretty sure that the one that will be perfect for my face will not cost more than 10 USD...

Having water in the mask is not a big problem but what's the reason of having it in if you can buy a mask that does not leak at all ?

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

P.S. I have learned another lesson that it is not covered in the manuals...

Oceanic Shadow is small and compact and has a big field of view... I own 3

Who cares about who makes the mask----get the one that fits your face! The job of the mask is to keep water out of your face----Your face does not care who has their brand stamped on it.... Most big companies dont make thier own masks anyways, they just paint their logo on it! Get the mask that fits your face---then look at the price.

try tightening the strap!
my x-vision leaks if i wear a hood and dont arrange my face properly. as the hood pushes my cheeks up, and it also leaks if i smile ,grin or laugh underwater, i have to remind myself to stop enjoying myself as much.

JRO:
Hi Cali68,

I'm in the market for a new mask as well and the Mythos sounds like a good choice. I have one question, probably a stupid one....Does the raking of the lens throw off your ability to line things up, specifically for underwater photography or in my case videography?

Thanks,

Jeff

Sorry it took so long to respond. The answer is no, at least not for me.

I have an old TUSA, don't remember the model, sorry. It fits great, has a wide field of vision, and doesn't leak if I smile or skip shaving for a few days.

While fit is most important, I think brand may be worth mentioning in some cases. Different rubber compounds and skirt designs can affect performance, and those features can be brand specific.

For instance, I see several posts mentioning leaking with a little whisker growth. I don't have this problem with my Tusa, but have had it with other brands. There are soooo many masks to choose from that finding the "right" one can be a chore. When you hear from someone with similar fit/issues knowing what helped them might make your search a bit easier.

And, yes, taking your reg and/or snorkel with you while trying on new masks is a very good idea! If you don't want to haul your whole reg, even a spare mouthpiece would help.

Aloha, iG

I to have a mustache and I had no leaks with the Mythos. I do nothing special (trimming top, vaseline, shaving closer, etc) and had no issues whatsoever.

Yea I have been having problems finding the right mask as well. I always have the problem of a slow leakage. I have just got the Cressi Big Eyes - and now I hear that it had bad reviews. Only dove once with it so far but I di have a slight leak problem around the lower part. I thought maybe I didnt have it pulled tight enough (I'm hoping), but I would like anyone's comments on a better mask. I know I have to take into consideration that what fits one may not another. This seems to trouble me alot and I really want to find the right mask. Thanks for any help in advance !!

Back
Top Bottom