Need Mask / Fin Advice for Kids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Good day,

We're about to embark on a 14 day road trip to FL. I'd like to take the kids snorkeling (15, 13, and 10). Does anyone have any recommendations for what to get? The 15 year old is as big as me, so I have a set for him, probably just order the same mask also, but I need a little direction on the younger ones.

Fwiw, my whole diving / viewing underwater changed drastically when I got a lower profile mask. It's amazing how much more confident I got when I was more aware of my surroundings. Before was like tunnel vision (I just used any old mask). This is why I came here, I don't want to buy crap for the kids.

Also, I know I'll get the "support your local shop". I would, I really would, but I always feel like to them it's a sale, and any sale will do. Not a bad shop, but if I don't go there knowing what I want or what I'm buying and why, they are more than happy to sell me anything and everything I don't need....hope that makes sense.

Thanks!!

The challenge with a mask is that they are very personal. Some masks fit some better better than others. You may have to work at the local dive shop.

I 100% agree with you on buying good stuff. The entire experience will be much better. I personally like Atomic masks, but again it is personal.

Rob:

Please check this out:

MAKO Spearguns: Perfect Fit or it's FREE

We carry kid's fins as well.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Los-Ninos-Freedive-Fins-for-Kids-and-Small-Women-p/mlnff.htm

MLNFF-2T.jpg

Enjoy your family vacation!

dano

Do you offer smaller masks for kids? (I see you offer fins, but I didn't see anything about different mask sizes)

Question to all, do kids need smaller masks? I would assume my 10 year old might, I think the 13 year old could get away with a full size.

No "one size fits all" answer to your question, pun intended. Some masks fit a wider range of faces than others. And not every kid at a given age, or even adult, has the same size face.

The masks I carry for smaller faces are:
Cressi Eyes Evolution, a smaller size version of my best selling Big Eyes Evolution
Cressi Lince, smaller skirt same frame as the Cressi Matrix.
Aqualung Look 2 Midi (recently discontinued, still in stock)
XS Scuba Fusion-2 Junior
XS Scuba Goby mask
Cressi Moon mask (ages 3-7)

From that list, it is pretty unlikely that I can't fit a smaller sized face. But most folks try on at least 2-3 of them before zeroing in on their optimum choice.

+1 for Mako. The Minimus mask fits my kiddos (youngest is 8) just fine. Quality stuff. Fit is very personal, of course, but I've found the Minimus to fit a pretty broad range of faces.

Do you offer smaller masks for kids? (I see you offer fins, but I didn't see anything about different mask sizes)

Question to all, do kids need smaller masks? I would assume my 10 year old might, I think the 13 year old could get away with a full size.

I would recommend the MAKO Minimus Mask for the kids. As someone else mentioned, it fits a huge range of faces and should fit the kids as well. If not... well MY loss.

Thanks

Dano

They will need to try on masks to see which one fits well. With the mask against the face, without the strap on, breathe in through the nose and see if it seals against their face. If air is still leaking in or if the mask doesn't stay on, it doesn't fit. If the mask stays put and creates a suction on their skin, the mask fits. Definitely get low volume and a scuba rather than snorkeling mask for each of them, since they may follow your SCUBA lead one day.

For fins as far as snorkeling, light board fins are all they need. It would be nice to get them open heel fins so they grow with them and are ready for booties if they start diving, but they will need to wear open heel fins with at least water shoes. Full foot fins will need to fit properly right now. At least full foot snorkeling fins tend to be cheap anyway if your kids decide to become divers in the near future.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback. Sorry I fell off the radar, we had a non stop weekend.

+1 for Mako. The Minimus mask fits my kiddos (youngest is 8) just fine. Quality stuff. Fit is very personal, of course, but I've found the Minimus to fit a pretty broad range of faces.

Thank you. I have had a look at them, but I've never worn a mask that has the lenses split. Are they "wide" enough? To me (again not having any experience) they seem like they wouldn't have a wide enough view. I'm a bit crazy about the view because it changed my whole perspective of diving after I got a nice low profile mask.

They will need to try on masks to see which one fits well. With the mask against the face, without the strap on, breathe in through the nose and see if it seals against their face. If air is still leaking in or if the mask doesn't stay on, it doesn't fit. If the mask stays put and creates a suction on their skin, the mask fits. Definitely get low volume and a scuba rather than snorkeling mask for each of them, since they may follow your SCUBA lead one day.

For fins as far as snorkeling, light board fins are all they need. It would be nice to get them open heel fins so they grow with them and are ready for booties if they start diving, but they will need to wear open heel fins with at least water shoes. Full foot fins will need to fit properly right now. At least full foot snorkeling fins tend to be cheap anyway if your kids decide to become divers in the near future.

They will go into Scuba, truthfully I would have had them all signed up by now, but I don't want the youngest to feel "left behind". He actually turns 10 this Dec., so I'm thinking I'll them all in somewhere this year or early next (could probably make it a Christmas present and kill 2 birds...:)

As far as the fins go, I would think it'd be better to go cheaper now and wait to see how far they get / grow? My wife and I have Deep 6 Eddy's (love them). I'm not sure that I want to drop that much coin on fins for the kids if they'll grow out of them in a year or 2.

I would recommend the MAKO Minimus Mask for the kids. As someone else mentioned, it fits a huge range of faces and should fit the kids as well. If not... well MY loss.

Thanks

Dano

I am looking into it, definitely a strong option. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom