Mask leaks over time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ishkrbibbl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just got back from a trip and the first day my new mask (got fitted by a shop - Scubapro) worked fine - no leaks.
Day two kind of iffy and once it started to leak it got worse.
By the fifth day it leaked constantly.
No hair in mask - no stuble to cause problems - mask seal clean (new) and not wearing it overly tight.
Started to wonder if my reg was causing the problem - new Miflex dual swivel hose - so I took reg out and tried to re boot mask and it still leaked.
Still wondering if hose isn't the problem - longer than previous - but as I think about it that may have been why I replaced the mask in the first place - constant leaking.
Got any voodoo or thoughts on the matter?
Thanks in advance?
d

Tinted faceplate or clear?

A tough one to solve, sometimes any mask will leak, are you sure it’s not to loose or still to tight?

hose can do this sometimes too, to long or to short making the mouth piece distort your face. Try taking a selfie when it’s leaking

Go through the basics again, hair, beard, too tight, too loose, crease on the skin, hood, strap position, breathing out through the nose unintentionally... Last one is disassemble the mask and reassemble it again, I take it that you have one of the exchangeable lenses, so this should not be too complicated, perhaps the lens is not sitting well in the frame.. Swap the mask with your buddy for a dive to see whether the problem could be behind the mask :cool: .

Some masks (like mine) with very soft , thin edges can get little folds in the seal edges against the face. Make sure to check for these and smooth them out before descent.

Is a hood involved? Make sure mask edge is under the hood and not the opposite.

A few of my friends tell me their mask doesn't seal as well if they are wearing a lot of sunscreen on their face.

And my mask always leaks a bit when I laugh underwater.

When you fitted the mask at the shop did you have a snorkle or 2nd stage in your mouth?

Often when folks fit/buy masks they do a basic test by sucking air through the nose and feeling for the mask to hold a vacuum against the face/head....then they go dive and find it inexplicably leaks. The leak is often due to facial distortion caused by the 2nd stage (or snorkle) in the mouth.

-Z

I have two masks which I've used successfully for years. Last year both started leaking after the first time I cleared them. Or maybe when I surfaced then descended again. No explanation. Only thing I can think of is my face structure has changed due to aging. Could figure it has something to do with the skirting getting really old-- but not both masks at basically the same time.

I have two masks which I've used successfully for years. Last year both started leaking after the first time I cleared them. Or maybe when I surfaced then descended again. No explanation. Only thing I can think of is my face structure has changed due to aging. Could figure it has something to do with the skirting getting really old-- but not both masks at basically the same time.
Or maybe you either gained or lost some weight?

Mask leaks are actually why dive buddies were first invented. Those primitive face masks used ratchet straps to keep them snug, and someone behind the diver had to ratchet it tight. Hence, dive buddies. Now that we have Superglue, solo diving has become much more common.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom