Mask leaks over time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found a small issue with my mask clearing that might help. My instructor told us to blow out through the nose to clear a mask. This implied a large amount of air. I have since found that doing so can disrupt properly sealed mask in several locations and cause ongoing issues. Instead, I now use small amounts of air to clear water out the bottom of the mask. This only disrupts the seal under the nose and seal back much better. If it continues to leak than I know the hood or something else is breaking seal. I then remove and reseal mask, clearing hair and hood to ensure a good seal. Usually this resolves the issue and continue the dive without issue.

I’m not sure that’s a good idea. Mask squeeze is a thing, you may have its skirt permanently imprinted on your face

Maybe you should book a pool session at your LDS, preferably with an observer, to try and find the leak source, test various permutations of your gear setup
great idea - like this one

I feel really badly, for this fellow:

All the gear but no idea!
All hat and no cattle!
All mouth and no trousers!
High tackle-to-talent ratio!

If this was skiing, he would be the "Jerry of the day".

-Z

Have you tried strapping the mask below your ears?
I always recommend my students buy masks with a perforation in the strap through which the ears could in on both sides.

Some masks (like mine) with very soft , thin edges can get little folds in the seal edges against the face. Make sure to check for these and smooth them out before descent.

Is a hood involved? Make sure mask edge is under the hood and not the opposite.

A few of my friends tell me their mask doesn't seal as well if they are wearing a lot of sunscreen on their face.

And my mask always leaks a bit when I laugh underwater.
Yes! Literally have to remind myself to stop smiling underwater when the leaks start happening. I sometimes break the seal around the reg from smiling 😅 isn't Diving awesome?!

Make sure that your mask strap is properly placed on the back of your head too. If it doesn't leak on one dive but leaks on the next, perhaps you aren't being consistent with mask strap placement.

Make sure that your mask strap is properly placed on the back of your head too. If it doesn't leak on one dive but leaks on the next, perhaps you aren't being consistent with mask strap placement.

This. I also found that I was constantly tightening my mask as a response to a persistent small leak when I started diving. I realize now that releasing some of the mask pressure from the straps helps me to maintain a better seal and prevent leaks (exactly the opposite of the common instinct to tighten the mask).

Back
Top Bottom