Need Kona shore diving suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the tips. We were going to dive 4 mile marker today but the swells are scary big. Does anyone know how long this is this supposed to last and are there places we can safely shore dive that are more protected and not as affected by this? Further north or south perhaps?

Today the beach outside Honokohau harbor to the south was quite diveable. I suspect the only other decent shore dive spot in the Kona area might have been 2 Steps, if that. Surf is supposed to slowly drop through Friday from what I've heard. You might want to call Kohala Divers in the morning to see how it's been up that direction. North of the aiport can be affected less by south swells. If the swells are still hitting there, viz could be down. If you want to just take a chance, head up to Puako early and check it out, if it's messy then head up to Mahukona, it's usually a safe bet when things are coming in from the south.

Anyone planning to dive Puako or any of the northern spots this weekend? Wife can't dive for health reasons. looking to buddy up for some dives.....

Thanks for the advice Steve we did just that. Puako was perfect yesterday and we dove house 56, other than the limited visibility it was a great dive with easy entry and exits. Today we are headed to the far north site mahakona (I think that's the correct spelling). Tomorrow hopefully the conditions will be better and we can stay in the Kailua area and do the harbor and mile 4. I really appreciate your help.

South Point has some good diving too. Enter the water south of the boat davits where there's a path down the cliff. Stay aware of currents, if you get more than 50 yards, or so, from the cliff they can really rip.

South Point has some good diving too. Enter the water south of the boat davits where there's a path down the cliff. Stay aware of currents, if you get more than 50 yards, or so, from the cliff they can really rip.
No kidding? I've heard that there is always strong current there.

If you go south to the actual point, or get a ways off shore, the current rips; but closer to shore or on the bottom there's often little or none.

So to avoid the current you should dive east or west of the actual south point?

You enter down a path that is just south of the boat davits. The boat davits are on the cliff north of the point on the west side. Go down South Point Road to the South Point Substation, continue on and take the last significant right, go to the end of the road and there's a parking lot there. You should see the davits and large blowhole. Just to the south is a cleft in the rocks and a way down to the water, the local kids are often jumping off the cliff there, because of the easier exit.

The harbor was great today and we were lucky enough to briefly see a good size tiger shark. Saw her cruising by at about 38 ft on the reef on our way back ( not where i expected to see her). We weren't able to get a pic though she was fast and this was our first time to see a tiger shark so we were paralyzed for a few seconds afraid to move. She was so close we almost could have touched her.

Back
Top Bottom