Need input on Poseidon Xtreme Deep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bondasik

Registered
Reaction score
hi,
i'm looking for an input from you guys who that more expert than i'm for this mater. hem before that, let's get some flash back first.
i'm just finishing my open water course 2 month ago, and during that time, i've already finishing my Advance, Nitrox, deep and i'm doing my rescue course now with PADI. with 20 log dive. 10 of em we're nitrox and below 25 m, max 40m..lol.(you can said that i'm more in deep freak now...LOL) well,, now i'm thingking to buy my own gear (before that i'm just hire a gear..lol..spend most of my money paying for the courses..lol). and after doing some searching i'm interesting on buying Poseidon Extreme deep reg as my first ever gear. and i've heard lot of pro and con regarding poseidon reg, that included with the price, service etc..bla bla bla..
the first reason that i'm choosing the poseidon reg is that the shape of reg is so unique and the buble come from the side. anyway, is that gonna be any difference if i'm gonna using this for below 17 m ? or should i use my alternate reg for shallow dive ?
and talking about the alternate reg what do u guys recomend ??
telling you the truth i'm not verry fond of buying alternate reg, i prefer using the inflater alternate as my alternate air.
beside poseidon extreme deep, any other option reg that you guys can recomended to me ???????

My first recomendation is to never buy a product on its first year the xtream does have some nice points to it, but it is new and there are still bugs to be worked out like problems with the IP. On the other hand the second stage's internal parts are exactly the same as the odin/jetstream. If you do want an Xtream go with the duration(I believe that is what to 50% model is called) It is the exact same thing just o2 clean for 50% and the dealer cost on it is the same as the deep

If you are looking for a recreational reg you need to either stay w/the Odin/Jetstream or the Duration 90 or the Deep 90.
These 2 regs have 3LP/1HP ports. The normal Duration & Deep only have 2LP/1HP ports for those who dive doubles w/2 independant 1st & 2nd stages.
Check this link for the Acrobat file on the tech info.

http://www.poseidon.se/bild.dip?id=365

Hope this helps.

Hope you don't plan on ever getting a drysuit...

I'd recommend to stick with a more conventional regulator and save yourself a huge amount of money.

The Xtreem is designed primarly for diving with doubles. on one -side reg, lp inf., octo, gauge, on the other reg, lp inf. dry suit, and gauge. Not enough ports to run one with air dry suit system, but you could go ARGON even if the navy still sees no use for it.

pos-tech once bubbled...
The Xtreem is designed primarly for diving with doubles. on one -side reg, lp inf., octo, gauge, on the other reg, lp inf. dry suit, and gauge. Not enough ports to run one with air dry suit system, but you could go ARGON even if the navy still sees no use for it.
If your using mix you definately aren't using your back gas..
Its either a bottle filled with argon or air.

Hi

I am currently using the new Poseidon xstreme regulator. I have always used an Odin in the past which I love, but the new first and second stage designs are once again a fantastic product by Poseidon. The regulator breaths smoothly and easly with out any change at any depth. The regulator breaths dry unlike the Odin and there is no more sudden burst of air when entering the water. The first stage has only one o-ring and only one moving part a ballanced rolling diaphram ball valve producing extreme leak tightness, were conventional designs are sensetive to wear, misaliggnment and manufacturing precision. There is no more intermediate pressure ajustment, it automatically goes back to its 140 Ip setting after assembly. The servo valve has been lenghtened for improved air flow and stability. The set up is great for doubles with hose ports in there correct position for double tank set up and gear configuration. There are two models of the first stage giving the owner an option for hose configuration. This new regulator design comes in three option. Xstreme (EAN, Air) for deep technical/wreck diving. Nitrox Duration for nitrox mixes up to 50% and a 100% 02 Deco reg for stage bottles. I must state thou that there has beed a recal on the 100% 02 reg because of some possible metal fibre break down in the first stage since than the problem has been resolved and corrected. I have used Apex and Scuba Pro regulators for cold deep diving but have found them to free flow on different isolated occasions even when the second stage is set at the lowest level, My poseidons on the other hand have never ever free flowed in any temp or at any depth giving me the confidence that they are the choice of champions and they will always bring you home.

Maste Chief

Hi!
I own a Jetstream and a Scubapro S600.. I dive both regularly in cold water. I recently considered upgrading to the new Xtreme, but I ended up not buying it. I have pretty big hands that get even bigger when inside neoprene or dry gloves.. I just found the purge button on the Xtreme a bit small for my taste. The Jetstream works great.. It actually seems to breathe easier the deeper you go. It took me a while to get used to the somewhat aggressive purge.. You get lots of air when you press it :) I usually use my Scubapro S600 and keep the Jetstream as my Octo. The S600 just feels more comfy. Its nice to know that the dependable Jetstream is hanging below my chin just in case I need it.

I had to discontinue using my Poseidon Odin due to the second stage causing high fevers------------ see article by DAN

DAN MEDICAL LINE
The Scuba Blues
DAN examines the possibilities behind flu-like symptoms following a dive.

Q:
I have been a certified diver since 1976. Over the past three years I have developed a condition related to diving: within two to four hours of my last dive on the first day of diving, I usually develop flu-like symptoms, including malaise, chills and fever. Although I don't experience other symptoms such as headache, trouble breathing or neurological symptoms, I do get a vague sense of irritation in my lungs and sometimes a dry cough. By the next day I am usually better. I have had a normal chest X-ray, EKG and blood chemistries, but no diagnosis has been made. Can you help?

A:
This malady has several possible explanations. Compressed gas breathing may result in pulmonary barotrauma; saltwater aspiration, directly or through a poorly functioning regulator, may also cause these symptoms. Mild decompression illness (DCI) can cause fatigue, but usually not chills and fever. This could be a condition that existed prior to the dive and coincidentally manifested itself afterwards (flu, perhaps). It is possible that breathing air under pressure may spread microorganisms from the breathing apparatus into the lungs. This was described in "Proceedings of the Eighth Symposium on Underwater Physiology," A.J. Bachrach and M.M. Matzen, editors, Undersea Medical Society, Bethesda, 1984, pp. 113-180. This condition could possibly be prevented by routine regulator maintenance and cleaning. DAN's records show similarities in calls concerning these otherwise unexplainable symptoms; and although this information is anecdotal, it deserves investigation. Unfortunately, most callers did not seek a medical evaluation while they were symptomatic, and reported symptoms after they had resolved. In each case the diver experienced flu-like symptoms within hours of the dive. This was always immediately after the first dive day or first dives in a series. Symptoms all resolved within 48 hours, many times within 24 hours.The limited calls to DAN do not indicate that this is a widespread problem, but DAN needs more information on this malady and its relationship to diving. Post-dive symptoms must be carefully considered; continuing to dive with symptoms could cause additional problems. DAN always recommends that you be examined by a physician or other healthcare professional. The possibility of decompression sickness must always be included in a differential diagnosis when a medical complaint is raised following a dive. If you have experienced similar symptoms, please let us know. Include the following information: Age; previous / current health problems; whether you smoke; if so, how many packs daily, how many years have you smoked or, if you have quit, how long ago? current medications (prescribed / over-the-counter); diving location/environment (warm or cold, salt or fresh water; tropical, inland, U.S. or non-U.S. location), how long after the dive you began to feel ill; symptoms experienced; sequence of symptoms (i.e. headache first, then muscle aches, cough); how long symptoms lasted and what, if anything, you did to remedy the illness and the outcome. Did you fly prior to diving? If so, how many hours was the flight and how long after landing did you begin your dive? Please also advise us if these symptoms are present every time you dive, occurred once or sporadically. All replies are confidential. We will follow up in an upcoming issue of Alert Diver. Send to DAN Medicine, 6 West Colony Place, Durham, NC 27707 or e-mail at medicine@diversalertnetwork.org.

Reviewed: January 1997

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 1999 Divers Alert Network

;-0

captjohnr once bubbled...
I had to discontinue using my Poseidon Odin due to the second stage causing high fevers------------ see article by DAN

DAN MEDICAL LINE
The Scuba Blues
DAN examines the possibilities behind flu-like symptoms following a dive.

Q:
I have been a certified diver since 1976. Over the past three years I have developed a condition related to diving: within two to four hours of my last dive on the first day of diving, I usually develop flu-like symptoms, including malaise, chills and fever. Although I don't experience other symptoms such as headache, trouble breathing or neurological symptoms, I do get a vague sense of irritation in my lungs and sometimes a dry cough. By the next day I am usually better. I have had a normal chest X-ray, EKG and blood chemistries, but no diagnosis has been made. Can you help?

A:
This malady has several possible explanations. Compressed gas breathing may result in pulmonary barotrauma; saltwater aspiration, directly or through a poorly functioning regulator, may also cause these symptoms. Mild decompression illness (DCI) can cause fatigue, but usually not chills and fever. This could be a condition that existed prior to the dive and coincidentally manifested itself afterwards (flu, perhaps). It is possible that breathing air under pressure may spread microorganisms from the breathing apparatus into the lungs. This was described in "Proceedings of the Eighth Symposium on Underwater Physiology," A.J. Bachrach and M.M. Matzen, editors, Undersea Medical Society, Bethesda, 1984, pp. 113-180. This condition could possibly be prevented by routine regulator maintenance and cleaning. DAN's records show similarities in calls concerning these otherwise unexplainable symptoms; and although this information is anecdotal, it deserves investigation. Unfortunately, most callers did not seek a medical evaluation while they were symptomatic, and reported symptoms after they had resolved. In each case the diver experienced flu-like symptoms within hours of the dive. This was always immediately after the first dive day or first dives in a series. Symptoms all resolved within 48 hours, many times within 24 hours.The limited calls to DAN do not indicate that this is a widespread problem, but DAN needs more information on this malady and its relationship to diving. Post-dive symptoms must be carefully considered; continuing to dive with symptoms could cause additional problems. DAN always recommends that you be examined by a physician or other healthcare professional. The possibility of decompression sickness must always be included in a differential diagnosis when a medical complaint is raised following a dive. If you have experienced similar symptoms, please let us know. Include the following information: Age; previous / current health problems; whether you smoke; if so, how many packs daily, how many years have you smoked or, if you have quit, how long ago? current medications (prescribed / over-the-counter); diving location/environment (warm or cold, salt or fresh water; tropical, inland, U.S. or non-U.S. location), how long after the dive you began to feel ill; symptoms experienced; sequence of symptoms (i.e. headache first, then muscle aches, cough); how long symptoms lasted and what, if anything, you did to remedy the illness and the outcome. Did you fly prior to diving? If so, how many hours was the flight and how long after landing did you begin your dive? Please also advise us if these symptoms are present every time you dive, occurred once or sporadically. All replies are confidential. We will follow up in an upcoming issue of Alert Diver. Send to DAN Medicine, 6 West Colony Place, Durham, NC 27707 or e-mail at medicine@diversalertnetwork.org.

Reviewed: January 1997

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 1999 Divers Alert Network

;-0
Ok.... Maybe I missed something here. But What does this DAN artical have to do w/Odins... Or the Xtreme series for that matter?
Am I missing an important correlation between the 2?

Not trying to give you a hard time John. It's just... Huh?

By the way. Did you come here as a result of my posting your address here as a good diving link?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom