Need input on Poseidon Xtreme Deep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's the link between the Dan Article and the Odin....

----- Original Message -----
To: mjswood
Cc: Gene Heidenreich
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2000 3:26 PM
Subject: poseidon regulators.

Mike,

Cap'n Gene asked me to relate my regulator story to you.

I dove a Poseidon regulator for quite a few years, getting it serviced regularly. It gave me great service and breathed like a dream. However, I was having a problem when doing extended dive trips of over two days. I would spike a temperature of 101 to 102.8 degrees after doing three to four dives a day. I went to Cayman Brac's emergency room,(a story in itself), called DAN and even went to the hyperbaric chamber in Tampa to be examined by a team of "Dive Doctors". All to no avail. No one including the brain trust at Duke could figure it out. I went to a local physician who thought that my blood corpuscles were being squished out of shape by the pressure. Took medication for weeks before a dive trip, with no success. Needless to say, diving was losing it's fun, being sick on vacations.

One day when I was at Gene's shop talking about this problem one of the guys who works there mentioned that it might be my regulator. I traveled the West Coast of Florida on business, so I started asking around at other shops, One person looked me straight in the eye and said "You have Poseidon's Disease" ! I had not told him the type of reg that I dove!!! It turns out that the Poseidon traps water in the bottom part of the regulator. Inhaling turns this water into micro-droplets which would go into my lungs. My body would see this as a foreign intruder and send out the cavalry, thus a fever. Granted it doesn't happen to everyone but the more people which I talked to the more occurrences I found. I switched to a Zeagle tech 50 D and have not been sick after diving since.

I also contacted DAN and shortly thereafter they had an article in alert diver. While they did not mention brand names, it was evident to me which reg they were talking about.

Mike I don't know how this relates to you but I hope that this sheds some light.

Sincerely,

Kurt

There you go thumper........... I did not know you mentioned my site but thanks.......

Those regs are about 1000.00 each, right? I used to dive Odins and loved them, then tried Apex Tx-50s and switched. Sold one Odin and got 2 apexs. The Odins got to expensive. Question, who is going to drop a grand for a deco reg?

Eric

ericfine50 once bubbled...
Those regs are about 1000.00 each, right? I used to dive Odins and loved them, then tried Apex Tx-50s and switched. Sold one Odin and got 2 apexs. The Odins got to expensive. Question, who is going to drop a grand for a deco reg?

Eric

Dude???? What are you talkin' about?? I paid $325 for my Odin. If you're paying a grande, I hope you took some KY to the shop when you paid for 'em.

No, I meant the Xtreme. Saw an ad for 999.99 or about for one. $325.00 is a very good price for an Odin

Or get two Apex regs for the price of an Odin and keep one as a spare or second deco bottle.
Eric:D

My LDS had an Xstream on display some time ago. I really liked
the second stage but not the 1st stage due to the limited number
of LP ports. So I'd like to combine an Xstream 2nd with a
Jetstream 1st (which I own). The only doubt I have is about
the IPs: the Xstream is rated in the brochure at 123, while
the Jetstream runs at 145. What would be recommended:
lower the IP to 123 (including my Jetstream octo) or run the
Xstream at 145? Or is there no big difference and both are
fine?

Thanks!

Back