need info for Pump House in Folsom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few years back I put my old 17 foot boat in at Negro bar, (no racial thing here.. that's the official name of the park) and motored up under rainbow bridge to do some fish'n. I drove up into the gorge by Folsom Prison. Kinda wierd fishing there. I kept expecting tp see escapees to come down the bank. but it kept me busy.. It looked very deep in the gorge it's self, but down by the boat ramp, you need to be careful , as it's deep, then all of a sudden there is a boulder just under the water! a bow watcher would be reccomended if you like your prop the shape it is now. It is perfectly diveable from a boat though all the way up into the gorge. the current changes, as the water is controlled by Folsom dam.. you can have radical fluctuations in moments if they open or close off the water flow.
Also... hey BEN_CA I dove some time ago in Suisun harbor for a fella that had fallen overboard and didn't come up. We found all sorts of SXXX in there!! motors, cans, refridgerators, cement, shopping carts fishing poles. Etc. I can't remeber a dive where we found more stuff. it was kinda dangerous as it was all 0 vis diving as you can well imagine.
It's was all dredged out for the new marina though. Just thought you might like that info.

diverrick once bubbled...
A few years back I put my old 17 foot boat in at Negro bar, (no racial thing here.. that's the official name of the park) and motored up under rainbow bridge to do some fish'n. I drove up into the gorge by Folsom Prison. Kinda wierd fishing there. I kept expecting tp see escapees to come down the bank. but it kept me busy.. It looked very deep in the gorge it's self, but down by the boat ramp, you need to be careful , as it's deep, then all of a sudden there is a boulder just under the water! a bow watcher would be reccomended if you like your prop the shape it is now. It is perfectly diveable from a boat though all the way up into the gorge. the current changes, as the water is controlled by Folsom dam.. you can have radical fluctuations in moments if they open or close off the water flow.

I think the lake is about to it's lowest level so they shouldn't be letting that much more water out this season. We usually dive out at Brown's Ravine, and the water is pretty low. In the summer when we are in 20-25' of water, we at the bottom of the parking lot at the boat ramp. Now we have to park all the way at the bottom and walk down the boat ramp just to get in the water. I would love to get a boat and dive that area up from the bridge though, it sounds like it would be a blast.

Hey guys,
Next Thursday is the start of my DIR-F class... I want to get a little practice that Thursday after lunch. I might also be available early morning but I don't really feel like driving back to Sac later that night. There's still a few slots just in case anyone still wants to sign up just PM Boomx5 or myself.

Hey Ben, good luck on the DIR class. It sounds awesome. BTW, anyone live near the Shadow Cliffs park in pleasanton. I would be curious to know whether it looks diveable.

I dove shadow cliffs the last time Gene Battaglia had a BBQ there and we had to sign releases... I think that was because he organized it under his shop. I don't think they will let you dive there just on your own. He's on BA_diving so just look for his email there or just shoot the question off to BA_diving.

Ben

Hey if anyone wants to dive Monday, i'll be heading up to Monterey to check out the conditions. I'll check back in about an hour to see if anyone is up for it. My dive buddies bailed and I can drive someone up. I'm in Vacaville, so....I'll be leaving about say 5:30-6:00 am. Let me know. Kevin

Divers Cove is a Five Star IDC Center with Nitrox available, Diving at the Power House or as we locals call it a Rainbow Bridge dive is pretty cool. There are a Number of Access points to the location that do not require tons of walking, Small boats can be launched at the Ramp on Negro Bar. Vis is normally 30-40 ft, depth varies with dam release. Our local divers have found everything from pipe bombs to crack pipes, hand guns, wallets, loose money, bicycles, rings, watches and other exspensive jewlery. One of our divers found a necklace worth over 3000.00 with a huge chunk of jade. another found an UZI machine gun. Anyways diving is great, but park near the Power House itself. Hotels are plentlyful here in the area for a weekend of fun. Next to our shop we have a little hotel that cost 40.00 a night. Old town folsom has three hotspot bars that you might want to have a good time at. Sturms hotel in oldtown is accutally a bar, The Hacienda is a resturant and Bar, and finally the Powerhouse pub which is considered more of a singles meeting place with a live band. Tech divers beware that Folsom is only 11000 acres and has depths of 240 ft. several air craft have crashed in our lake, as have boats sunk. there is a marina on the lake with food and fuel as well. Drop me a call if your interested in diving in our area and our divers will be glad to join you or show you around.
Robert Flores
Master Instructor
Divers Cove Owner
916-984-6185
www.diverscove.net

Hey, Thanks for the info and the invite. I made a dive there a little while ago and found enough crawdads to feed 6 people. Didn't realize the scavenger hunt potential since we were having so much fun with the bugs. My brother and I are thinking of diving next Friday morning after Thanksgiving. Anyone up for some fuN?

Combo scavenger hunt and/or crawdads?? Let me know.

Is there part of the year when diving is better around the pump house? I suppose it's a no-brainer to guess when it's better out of the water, but how about in the water. Does the river get below 50 degrees? Are the mud bugs plentiful year around?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom