need info for Pump House in Folsom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would love to see the pictures also, if I could. I get up that a way a few times a year.

recon_1996@yahoo.com

boomx5 once bubbled...
so I decided to take a drive out there to check out the powerhouse since it's only about 20 min away, and here's what I found. The hike from the parking area to water is about 300 yards down a dirt path and numerous rock steps. Be careful, most of the walkway is made up of dirt and loose granite sand or pebbles. On my way down to the water I stepped on a rock protruding from the walkway and rolled my ankle pretty good. Anyway, I took some pictures of the area and I can email them to you if you would like; just let me know.:)

The downstream side is the American River/Lake Natoma, you'd have to access somewhere above Nimbus Dam (about 6 mi from the pumphouse)
There should be any number of access points to launch a small boat & I also see that Sac State has boat & yak rentals: (pricy tho, $10/hr) http://www.csusaquaticcenter.com/html/equipment_rental.html
I think I feel a crawdad boil coming up...:tease:

I was also thinking if you could launch a boat at Negro Bar it would not be that far of a trek. It also looks like you may be able to launch an inflatable you could zip right across the river. I scooter would work to since it's not that far.

I'm on my buddy's computer (Big Pine Key), I can only read text messages in my email right now. I'll have to install a different email client after I get the OK from him.
Did I mention that I have a buddy in Fair Oaks that has a boat?
He's also lived in New Orleans & is fond of mudbugs.
oh yah, he dives too.:wink:

I went down to Costco today and found a garden cart with big wheels and side rails. Looks big enough to hold 2 full gear setups. I'm going to ask my dive buddy to share the cost. I think it would be worthwhile. Dolphin-scuba said they got lots o crawdads from that hole. It was only $58. At $30 each, thats worth the crawdads right there. Kevin

Okay, I've done this dive twice now, so I'm no pro, but I have to say the walk down is hard. The path is rocky and strippery. There's not much to hang on to. Kevjl2, your cart would be useless! Crossing the road is no picnic either since it's quite a busy road. The current can be strong at times but viz is pretty good. But it's a fun dive. There are definitely a lot of crawdads. (But how big do they have to be to make good eats? The biggest ones I saw were maybe 6 inches.) It's a good place to do S&R.

It sounds like a boat may be a good idea for us "senior citizen" types.

Geez, a tail is considered to be of eating size when the meat is about the size of the first segment of your little finger (if you have big hands). :wink:
A 6-incher would be thumb segment size!
Does anyone know what variety these are, the rusty or blue claw?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom