Need help with Cancun Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ExactFunctor

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be visiting Cancun with my girlfriend between January 4th and Jan 11th of 2006. We're hoping to do some diving but everywhere I've looked the prices seemed to range between $65 - $150 per dive.
We don't really have our own gear, only masks, and we both are PADI OW Certified as of this year. My questions are this: How do we get the most diving for our money? Are there beach diving locations? Does anyone know of any good packages for 2 or more dives? Should we invest in some equipment?
Please advise.

Charlie99:
The $68 including gear rental for a two tank trip at Scuba Cancun is more typical.

I suspect that you are looking at the special trips down to the cenotes (limestone caves and caverns) or combined van/ferry/dive boat excursion to go to Cozumel for a day to dive.

I think that we'd be perfectly happy with doing one or two of the $68 dives. Is Scuba Cancun a good company to go with?

ExactFunctor:
I think that we'd be perfectly happy with doing one or two of the $68 dives. Is Scuba Cancun a good company to go with?
I did some dives with them about 3 years ago. Safe company. Very much geared towards the occasional and new diver. Some of the dives were under such close supervision that it felt more like an OW cert class or a non-certified Discover Scuba dive than a normal guided dive.

The only other shop I used, Solo Buceo, had a more relaxed atmosphere but also supplied me an AL80 with enough gunk on the bottom (and perhaps a missing tank snorkel) that it left the inlet filter on my reg gunked up and bocked with white aluminum oxide paste.

I've contacted Scuba Cancun and it sounds like they'll be the ones that we'll go with (we barely got our OW certification, so safety is a bit of a priority). Thanks for all the info!

I have been diving with Nautilus divers for 10 years and they are great. They will give you a deal for multi-day diving. They are operating out of Aquasol now at the hotel they were working at was heavily damaged by Wilma. I will be diving with them in Feburary. I can recommend staying away from AquaWorld as they are a cattle car. I know there are other good operators but I always go gack to Nautilus Divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom