Need help - picky travelers on a budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No doubt Blue Angel- it will be your home away from home! Non-divers love it there. All rooms ocean view and they have a nice pool. Jean in MO

Check out Scuba Club Cozumel. They have good package deals - we just returned from a 5-night stay. The shore diving (especially at night) was really good. It's a short $5 taxi ride into town or about a 10 minute walk. The place is very clean, the staff is courteous and overall we had a nice trip.

Kristin Trenum

after much research I found that if you want beach stay south of town and rent a car. check out aldora dive's website they have lots of really good info on options. we are staying at a condo south of town so we can have shorter boat rides for diving and a beach to hang out on when not diving. $656 for the week Residencias Reef.

Rent a car and a condo. we did. Its not walkable to town but I dont like going into town that often. I do like the beach and having the boat pick us up in the morning and leaving us tanks to do our own shore dives afterwards.

I prefer to cook our meals ourselves (I love to cook) and a couple stops at the Mega for some fresh breads and some chicken got us through our week stay without issue.

Try Blue Angel. Well reviewed, walk to town, right on the water and great shore diving by Cozumel standards.
Love the place and the people, but certainly no longer a budget property. It's much nicer than before, but improvements cost money. Also does not participate in Orbitz or any other air & hotel packages. Sure, email them and add their offer to the $414 air fare from OKC, but if price is important as mentioned - well.
Second time going to Cozumel. First time as divers. Probably looking at early November.

Does not have to be the cheapest place out there, but no Ritz either.

-Need a beach of some sort - The wife will still want some sun time
-Shore diving would be nice, but good snorkle on the beach would be good enough
-Want to be in town, or at least a few minutes walk
-No all inclusive - I hate feeling like I'm in a prison or retirement home
-Dive $ being included would be nice - either that or being able to use the Orbitz coupon
The beaches from SCC to Casa del Mar (including Blue Angel and Villablanca if you don't know the area) are okay if you want a sandy beach but if you walk into the water, you encounter the ironstone - not for the barefoot! Even in booties you need to select entrances with care, but for sun and sand - sure, good and free!

For discount travel, using the Orbitz $200/room discount on a week, take $100 per person off of these rates that do include all taxes and fees - click to enlarge or right click to open in new tabs...

$479 net/person total - only $65 more than plane ticket for the whole week,
or $520 per person with the popular room upgrade...
ScreenHunter_01 Jul. 08 10.10.jpg

$521 each - only $107 each more than air for the whole week
ScreenHunter_02 Jul. 08 10.11.jpg

$554 each - still a good, competitive choice
ScreenHunter_03 Jul. 08 10.11.jpg

$554 each but getting out into the southern zone
ScreenHunter_04 Jul. 08 10.13.jpg

Funny thing about the Orbitz per room coupon: if can work on private rooms, like $536 at Villablanca - but if they're not connecting, kind of a drag for a couple. :shakehead: See http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...tz-200-package-discount.html?highlight=orbitz and http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...hotel-package-discounts.html?highlight=orbitz for more details on shopping

Scuba Mau is a popular operator choice at Villablanca, but you can select among many who will pick you up at any dock. Except for shore diving, Villablanca wall is about as good as you can get on Coz and you get free tanks only from your dive operator, then ask them for info on improved entrances.

Personally, I use my energy for diving, not walking into town, but car for 2 from the first three illustrated is only $5 each way.

A popular map for $10 http://www.cancunmap.com/cozumel-map.html

Another to check out is El Cid La Ceiba; it has a beach (although behind a retaining wall), shore diving, and snorkeling; the rooms are spacious and most have refrigerators. The restaurant on site is pretty awful, but it isn't a bad cab ride to town. (Glad I proofread; my original text had a reference to "snore diving.")

I guess you need to determine what you budget is for the ammenties you want.
The blue angel is quite nice and would fulfill most of your requirements, except the sandy beach part. I think you can go much cheaper staying in town or follow up on Don's advice for some nice deals.

I guess you need to determine what you budget is for the ammenties you want.
The blue angel is quite nice and would fulfill most of your requirements, except the sandy beach part. I think you can go much cheaper staying in town or follow up on Don's advice for some nice deals.
True, and as I said I love the property & people. If he's willing to spend more, it's a good choice.

Air @ $414 ea + 7 night/5 trip package @ $650 plus taxes if the online menu is up to date = around $1100 each

VB with air: $479 to $520 + 5 trips for comparison for around $325 = $804 to $845 each = around $500 to $600 more for the couple = about $73 to $86 a night more. :idk:

I do not know of much "much cheaper staying in town" really? Bahia and Bazar are a little cheaper, not much, as is Fontan north of town but not cheap enough for me. LOCATION!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom