Need Help Picking Out BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course I'm here in Texas:
Pace Picante Sauce?! Blech. I'd rather hang myself.

LP ,so far, has honored the manufacturer warranties for me. If the money is about the same, I'd rather have the official warranty. What does a "lifetime warranty" on a BC mean?

For my own edification, do Zeagle B/C's have serial numbers on them?
I have a Zeagle "Tech" and can't say that I've ever seen a serial number on it.
I have seen the attached patent number, but not a serial number.
If there is no serial number, how can one tell from whom it was purchased?

evad:
Of course I'm here in Texas:
Pace Picante Sauce?! Blech. I'd rather hang myself.

LP ,so far, has honored the manufacturer warranties for me. If the money is about the same, I'd rather have the official warranty. What does a "lifetime warranty" on a BC mean?

Yea, money is about the same, and lifetime warranty means if 6 years from now a bladder seam goes... they'll fix it or replace it. 8 years from now, the stitching comes loose on a pocket, they'll fix it or replace it... etc. Anything that goes wrong that not your fault (stabbing bladder with a spear gun shaft, etc....) The manufacturer will either repair, or replace that part. Hard to beat when you can get products for about the same price - and get a lifetime warranty...

The Kraken:
For my own edification, do Zeagle B/C's have serial numbers on them?
I have a Zeagle "Tech" and can't say that I've ever seen a serial number on it.
I have seen the attached patent number, but not a serial number.
If there is no serial number, how can one tell from whom it was purchased?

No, they don't have serial numbers so for warranty work, they want proof of purchase... keep your receipt hanging around... or if you got it from us, we can always pdf you a new one.

I would say try the most brands you can read some reviews first (on the board or even www.scubadiving.com) and after that decide based on your budget. Ideally would be to rent few for a dive a two see how they fit.
Seaquest is also a good one, which I find very comfortable… your choice.

Robert

I've bought from LP... a great deal on an Akona travel bag, some accessory stuff, that's about it. They have a huge selection of and a variety of brands, but when you check with the manufacturers, they aren't listed as an Authorized Dealer for most. Yes, you can send your gear back to them and they'll repair it, but if they aren't recognized as a dealer I'm not confident that they're following manufacturer recommendations or parts in their service and repairs.

We were in Cayman last year and a woman who was diving with us had just bought a full package from LP. Nice gear too. She'd tried stuff at local shops then elected to save the $'s and bought online from LP. Well, dive #4 of a week long trip and the inflater on her BC wasn't working, her reg was free flowing and her computer died. She spent the rest of the week in rental gear and when she got home and contact LP, they said since it was a closeout sale, all repairs would be at her expense. She went to the LDS where she'd trained, tried out gear but didn't buy, and they saw her LP receipt and wouldn't touch it.

Zeagle is a great brand of BC's. You get what you pay for. You can save a few bucks and take your chances down the road, or you can buy from an authorized dealer and have the ability to upgrade componenets as needed and know that even for repairs, big or small, you will never have any hassles.

scubatoys:
Well, actually you can toss any bladder on any of the BC's... but you won't gain much. The goal is???

If the goal is to dive doubles with the zeagle, then even though you can put a larger bladder on a zena or a scout, you are sill not going to run doubles with them. For that, you want to be in a ranger... but then the ranger is bulky with the 44 lb bladder - too bulky for travel for me, so I had scott make up my custom "Zeagle Brigade" which is a ranger harness with the same bladder that is on the Zena or the Escape, or the Scout.

That way, heavy duty, steel d-rings, have the ability to swap out bladders, dive duals, etc... but yet packs up small.

Okay. Then for the sizing I should try on the Ranger for fit? I'm going to some shops to try on and see how the fit is. There is a LDS near my house that supposedly sells Zeagles. Gotta go check out the fit first. (no chance you'ld just want to mail me a few and then I can pick one out? LOL ----- Kidding... :wink:

Edited to add: BTW, I LOVE the picante commercial. Yes it plays here... and I lived in the southwest for 5 years (San Diego, CA & Douglas, AZ respectively) so I know good Salsa when I see it!.. :wink:

For sizing, if you want to buy from Larry, you should give him a call. I think that he promises guarantee fit. But I could be wrong about that. (Wow, it seems like a lot of us have become walking ScubaToy ads)

If you go to your LDS and try on their gear, you should consider buying from them. Some LDS are actually very good about negotiating prices. Of course, some are not, and may run you out of their store.

btw, if the Ranger is not small enough, you might want to consider the Dive Rite TransPac system. It's very adjustable, and my dive buddy fits better in the SM TransPac than the SM Ranger, and she's an XS. Plus, the TransPac travels very well, especially with the travel wing.

Good luck!

Mama Mynet:
(no chance you'ld just want to mail me a few and then I can pick one out? LOL ----- Kidding... :wink:

Actually... Yes... I've done that a bunch with suits and BCs. You just will have some shipping costs... but if you call me and let me figure out your size, I'll send you the right one... And if I miss (and I almost never do!), I'll send out a new one, and a prepaid pickup tag for the wrong size - cost you nothing.

Actually, I'd agree with the other poster that if you take a dive shops time, you should see if you can purchase from them. But even if you take my time... feel free to purchase from your local shop - so give a call with any questions on sizing, fitting, etc.

scubatoys:
Actually... Yes... I've done that a bunch with suits and BCs. You just will have some shipping costs... but if you call me and let me figure out your size, I'll send you the right one... And if I miss (and I almost never do!), I'll send out a new one, and a prepaid pickup tag for the wrong size - cost you nothing.

Actually, I'd agree with the other poster that if you take a dive shops time, you should see if you can purchase from them. But even if you take my time... feel free to purchase from your local shop - so give a call with any questions on sizing, fitting, etc.

COOL! Thanks Larry!!! I'll give ya a buzz hopefully by tomorrow. By the time I get home most nites it's past 8PM EST and the boys have not been feeling well. Now, I'm psyched... :)

Back
Top Bottom