Need Help Picking Out BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AmyJ:
Just remember with (I think any Zeagle) they have the component system. I have a large back piece, medium front panel and Xsmall shoulder pieces on my Zena.

Yes, and Leisurepro does not honor that system. I just had my waist taken in by a sailmaker instead.

However, Larry at ScubaToys will help you.... just ask him!

I did my OW course in a Ranger (the shop is into tech more than anything and that's what they use...) which was way too much BC for me. I tried a Zena but it felt too confining. I ended up getting a Zeagle Scout, but with ripcord weight pockets on the sides and wider shoulder straps. Zeagles are great because you can completely customize the fit on ANY model. I mostly plane travel to dive destinations so I wanted something more compact but still quality and definitely back floatation. My husband dives with a Ranger. At Beneath the Sea last year we checked out a Concept and an Escape because he wants to downsize for travel.

Just be careful where you buy. Make sure they're an authorized dealer. If they're not an authorized dealer then Zeagle will not honor the warranty. Some shops sell Zeagle but you have to go back to them for any service and if they can't send things back to the manufacturer then there's no guarantee of what you'll get and no way Zeagle will look at your BC or other gear if anything goes wrong after that.

AmyJ:
However, Larry at ScubaToys will help you.... just ask him!
LOL. Larry seems to be the guru of scuba stuff... LOL I just spent the weekend emailing him (a few I'm afraid to admit) asking him questions on stuff and packages and whatnot... I hope to hear from him sometime this week. :)

Mikey is 2 1/2 years old and Manny is 9 months old. :) I'm recently divorced so it's just me and the boys :) They are so young its REALLY hard going shopping with them if it involves me trying on stuff...LOL For some reason, toddlers don't understand the concept of patience just yet...LOL Especially when they have to go potty.

I wish they had Mail Order Fittings... Like mail me a few BC that I'm interested in, and the one I like best I'll keep and I'll mail you back the rest. (sigh)

scubawife:
I did my OW course in a Ranger (the shop is into tech more than anything and that's what they use...) which was way too much BC for me. I tried a Zena but it felt too confining. I ended up getting a Zeagle Scout, but with ripcord weight pockets on the sides and wider shoulder straps. Zeagles are great because you can completely customize the fit on ANY model..Just be careful where you buy. Make sure they're an authorized dealer. If they're not an authorized dealer then Zeagle will not honor the warranty. Some shops sell Zeagle but you have to go back to them for any service and if they can't send things back to the manufacturer then there's no guarantee of what you'll get and no way Zeagle will look at your BC or other gear if anything goes wrong after that.

Thanks for the info and for sharing. :) The more I look at the Scout the more I'm inclined to like it versus the Zena. I'm just not that big into the zipper front. With the scout I can upgrade the bladders? and with the Zena I can't, right?

Have you checked out the "BC Selection" section of the Zeagle site? There's an FAQ and also a section that explains the design of their BC's.

The best thing to do is to explain to the dealer exactly what type of diving you plan on doing. They'll be able to suggest the best BC to meet your needs. If you are planning on getting a custom fit, you really do need to visit a dealer in person. It's hard to size some up via emails. Once you can see and try on the various Zeagles, then by all means price shop.

Where in NJ do you live? The shop I use is in Hillsdale.

scubawife:
Have you checked out the "BC Selection" section of the Zeagle site? There's an FAQ and also a section that explains the design of their BC's.

The best thing to do is to explain to the dealer exactly what type of diving you plan on doing. They'll be able to suggest the best BC to meet your needs. If you are planning on getting a custom fit, you really do need to visit a dealer in person. It's hard to size some up via emails. Once you can see and try on the various Zeagles, then by all means price shop.

Where in NJ do you live? The shop I use is in Hillsdale.

I live in Newark. "Brick City" My ex is actually going to take the kids this weekend for a visitation (miracle) so I think I'm going to take my time this weekend and do some shopping and try on a few BC's. Larry was great enough to email me so what I'm going to do is to try on a few and then do a look see. I had no idea that once you purchase a Zeagle from Leisurepro that you lose the lifetime warranty?

What do you use for colder water dives? I'm thinking of picking up a semi-drysuit for the springtime.

Mama Mynet:
I had no idea that once you purchase a Zeagle from Leisurepro that you lose the lifetime warranty?

That's not true. But make a copy of your sales slip because LP's seem to be printed with disappearing ink.

evad:
That's not true. But make a copy of your sales slip because LP's seem to be printed with disappearing ink.

It is true that you will not have a lifetime warranty with Zeagle... I'm sure scott will chime in here sooner or later... Maybe Leisurepro says they'll take care of it with "their warranty", but you do not have the ability to take it to any authorized dive shop, or send directly to zeagle, and get it repaired for free if something went out on it. And maybe I'm silly, but if I'm having any problems with my equipment, I'd rather send it down to the people who made it, that are very familiar with the BC, as they invented it, dive it, sew it, repair it, instead of the guys in NY who sell it as a gray market commodity along with their cameras.

Of course I'm here in Texas, and we use Pace Pacanti sauce... none of the stuff from the guys in New York City!

(Hoping the reference to a funny commercial where the guy gets off his horse, then pushes the keychain clicker to activate his alarm - car / horse alarm - while onlookers in cowboy hats talk about getting picanti sauce from texas not new york city... anywhay, hoping it's a national ad, not just local to texas, or else my joke didn't work. Of course anytime you have to run parenthesis, then have an explaination to a comment that is longer than the joke itself... I'm pretty sure it didn't work anyway... Oh well)

Mama Mynet:
Thanks for the info and for sharing. :) The more I look at the Scout the more I'm inclined to like it versus the Zena. I'm just not that big into the zipper front. With the scout I can upgrade the bladders? and with the Zena I can't, right?

Well, actually you can toss any bladder on any of the BC's... but you won't gain much. The goal is???

If the goal is to dive doubles with the zeagle, then even though you can put a larger bladder on a zena or a scout, you are sill not going to run doubles with them. For that, you want to be in a ranger... but then the ranger is bulky with the 44 lb bladder - too bulky for travel for me, so I had scott make up my custom "Zeagle Brigade" which is a ranger harness with the same bladder that is on the Zena or the Escape, or the Scout.

That way, heavy duty, steel d-rings, have the ability to swap out bladders, dive duals, etc... but yet packs up small.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom