Need Help Picking Out BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mama Mynet:
Muchas Gracias!!! I wish it wasn't still snowing here so I could go to the shop and try one on... (sigh)

I hear ya. My sister is telling me that it's -20C north of Toronto and lots of snow. :ice: Brrrrrrrr!

Anyways, I'm glad that you'll be looking at all types of BCs, not just the "female specific" ones. That way you won't be limiting your choices.

Buena suerte,

I'd encourage you to check out the Oceanic Isla. I absolutely love mine. It's VERY comfortable. I have a short torso and it sits nicely above my hips. You can adjust the front straps laterally so they sit comfortably on your chest without cutting into your armpits. I also really like the 2 zippered pockets, and it has several rings for attachments. Other reasons, besides comfort, that I chose it over the Zena (which I also considered): it's advertized buoyancy range is wider, it has a carry handle which comes in really handy, and it scored better in Rodale's testing of women's BCs (can see results at scubadiving.com).

Up to you whether you need a women's BC or not, but for me it has made ALL the difference having something that doesn't hang around my hips and accomodates my, um, curves. Happy shopping!

Mama Mynet:
Hi all. I'm new at all this so I need some seasoned help. I'm going to purchase a BC and I'm doing a ton of research before I commit myself, my safety (and purse) to a BC. I was originally going to get the Mares Pegasus but I understand that their BC's are usually not of the best quality. Then I was considering the Zena (figured if I'm going to pay out $$$ I might as well go for the gold.. Right?

So here's what I need it for...

Cold and warm dives in New Jersey area and down in the Caribbean mostly (wetsuits and drysuits... I'm trying to not have to buy more than 1 BC for now). Mostly for recreational use. My intention is to work my way through to Instructor level so I wanted something that with care would last. Also need for it to travel well... I am petite so I usually need an extra small.

So, any opinions
?

SubMariner:
I hear ya. My sister is telling me that it's -20C north of Toronto and lots of snow. :ice: Brrrrrrrr!

Anyways, I'm glad that you'll be looking at all types of BCs, not just the "female specific" ones. That way you won't be limiting your choices.

Buena suerte,
If shopping were so easy.... My problem with trying on BC's is that I usually don't have the time to go and leisurely walk around and try on stuff... LOL I work full time, go to school full time at night, and I have the boys by myself... By the time I get home the shops are closed or its time to put the kids in bed, and by the time the weekend comes around I usually having some activity planned with the boys so we can have some quality time together. Then when the kids are in a great mood that I can take them shopping with me, a huge snowstorm hits...LOL (My luck)

Christa:
I'd encourage you to check out the Oceanic Isla. I absolutely love mine. It's VERY comfortable. I have a short torso and it sits nicely above my hips. You can adjust the front straps laterally so they sit comfortably on your chest without cutting into your armpits. I also really like the 2 zippered pockets, and it has several ...Up to you whether you need a women's BC or not, but for me it has made ALL the difference having something that doesn't hang around my hips and accomodates my, um, curves. Happy shopping!

Thanks so much for your help and input. I figured out the regs and octo that I'm going to use and the analog gauge I want to get. Got comparative prices on all and emailed them to Larry (whom I HOPE will be able to do something and hook me up) Now the main thing is the decision on the BC. I understand that the Rec Diving and Tech Diving are two different animals so maybe I will go for a more rec type of BC... I dunno... I just don't want to waste $$ on something that I'll end up being unhappy with... (sigh)

Mama Mynet:
Thanks so much for your help and input. I figured out the regs and octo that I'm going to use and the analog gauge I want to get. Got comparative prices on all and emailed them to Larry (whom I HOPE will be able to do something and hook me up) Now the main thing is the decision on the BC. I understand that the Rec Diving and Tech Diving are two different animals so maybe I will go for a more rec type of BC... I dunno... I just don't want to waste $$ on something that I'll end up being unhappy with... (sigh)

If you can get in to LeisurePro in Manhattan, you can try on most brands in 30 minutes, see what you like, and buy it anywhere you want. You might look at a Zeagle "scout" which is about as light weight as they get, about $200.00, and you can give it to one of your sons later. I had one and really liked it.

evad:
If you can get in to LeisurePro in Manhattan, you can try on most brands in 30 minutes, see what you like, and buy it anywhere you want. You might look at a Zeagle "scout" which is about as light weight as they get, about $200.00, and you can give it to one of your sons later. I had one and really liked it.
That's right! They do have everything there in house. That's where I got most of my gear. If you go there personally they are great. Online is a different story...
Zeagle Scout! I wasn't even considering that. LOL.. do you think it'll last 10 years for me to give it to Mikey?

FWIW, my mother-in-law who is one of my dive buddies has been using a Zena for 2 years, she says it's great and I have never witnessed her have any problems with it. She recently tried my Zeagle Ranger for two dives and came up saying she was going to go get one as soon as possible, she liked the way it fit much better.

Mama Mynet:
That's right! They do have everything there in house. That's where I got most of my gear. If you go there personally they are great. Online is a different story...
Zeagle Scout! I wasn't even considering that. LOL.. do you think it'll last 10 years for me to give it to Mikey?

Yeah, give it to Mikey. He'll dive anything. Ten years? Is he only two?

skeet:
FWIW, my mother-in-law who is one of my dive buddies has been using a Zena for 2 years, she says it's great and I have never witnessed her have any problems with it. She recently tried my Zeagle Ranger for two dives and came up saying she was going to go get one as soon as possible, she liked the way it fit much better.[/QUOT

Yeah, the Scout straps fit just like the Ranger's with less bulk. They go right under your arms like a standard harness, as opposed to over the pecs/boobs like some BCs.

Just remember with (I think any Zeagle) they have the component system. I have a large back piece, medium front panel and Xsmall shoulder pieces on my Zena. And if at all possible, try it out in the water ( trust me I know how hard that can be...) but I find that fit on land is VERY different from fit in the water.... Let us know how it goes!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom