Need Help Picking Out BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mama Mynet

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new at all this so I need some seasoned help. I'm going to purchase a BC and I'm doing a ton of research before I commit myself, my safety (and purse) to a BC. I was originally going to get the Mares Pegasus but I understand that their BC's are usually not of the best quality. Then I was considering the Zena (figured if I'm going to pay out $$$ I might as well go for the gold.. Right?

So here's what I need it for...

Cold and warm dives in New Jersey area and down in the Caribbean mostly (wetsuits and drysuits... I'm trying to not have to buy more than 1 BC for now). Mostly for recreational use. My intention is to work my way through to Instructor level so I wanted something that with care would last. Also need for it to travel well... I am petite so I usually need an extra small.

So, any opinions
?

I'm not a Tekkie (nor do I play on on TV) but Dive Rite seems to be the one of the systems you can personalize the most because each section has a number of different options: the harness, cumberbund, wings, pockets, etc.

For example, one of my students is overweight and VERY full figured, but short. She was able to get setup that fit her to a "T".

You may want to take a look at it. :thumb:

Buena suerte,

SubMariner:
I'm not a Tekkie (nor do I play on on TV) but Dive Rite seems to be the one of the systems you can personalize the most because each section has a number of different options: the harness, cumberbund, wings, pockets, etc.

For example, one of my students is overweight and VERY full figured, but short. She was able to get setup that fit her to a "T".

You may want to take a look at it. :thumb:

Buena suerte,

Muchas Gracias!!! I wish it wasn't still snowing here so I could go to the shop and try one on... (sigh)

Zeagle is another brand to look at if you want versatility. If you gain weight or loose weight you can change out pieces and make it fit again. They are also durable.

I agree with crtnpr133 about the Zeagle. I have the Zeagle Ranger BC for both Recreational and for work as a Puvlic Safety Diver. I've used it for both deep wreck dives, search and recovery, etc...

Whatever you buy don't skimp on quality even if it's pricey. You want something that is going to save you in time of trouble.

Brian

crpntr133:
Zeagle is another brand to look at if you want versatility. If you gain weight or loose weight you can change out pieces and make it fit again. They are also durable.
I already emailed Larry last nite about a Zeagle package he's got. Hopefully I'll hear from him soon. I've gotten antsy wanting good gear since I want to practice with the gear I'm going to use... I swear I've got no patience when it comes to "shopping" LOL

Thanks Mama Mynet for starting a very good thread. And thanks to all the replies about shopping for women's BC's. This is helping me too! Diving in rock quarry much of the year, but on trips, to the sea it is! arrgh!

scubagirl

scubagirl05@peoplepc.com:
Thanks Mama Mynet for starting a very good thread. And thanks to all the replies about shopping for women's BC's. This is helping me too! Diving in rock quarry much of the year, but on trips, to the sea it is! arrgh!

scubagirl
Hey Scubagirl. :) That is the same range that I will be diving... LOL Out here in Jersey, it is either really cold ocean, the Quarry in Pennsylvania or you've got to travel a bit for warmer waters. I'm hoping to take at least one, maybe 2 away trips per year (depending if I get the teaching job I want for september...LOL) The rest of the time I'll be doing local dives. Since I'll be travelling quite a bit (with two toddlers...LOL) I really don't want a lot of bulky equipment... It really looks like Zena is the way to go for me... BTW, has anyone considered the Ranger? Looking to see if women have used that one too and their take on it.

ALso, with the Zena, has anyone had a problem with tilting foward a whole lot once they break surface?

Re: Zena...

No, I haven't noticed myself tipping forward. I have heard that if you do have that problem you probably have too much air in your BC. I LOVE!!!!! my Zena, it fits to a T and is just wonderful! Just got back from first trip with it... SO says I look SOOOO different underwater. Streamlined and very comfortable with movement and buoancy (like hanging upside down trying to see eye to eye with a trumpet fish) :) Love it!

AmyJ:
Re: Zena...

No, I haven't noticed myself tipping forward. I have heard that if you do have that problem you probably have too much air in your BC. I LOVE!!!!! my Zena, it fits to a T and is just wonderful! Just got back from first trip with it... SO says I look SOOOO different underwater. Streamlined and very comfortable with movement and buoancy (like hanging upside down trying to see eye to eye with a trumpet fish) :) Love it!
Now THAT is definitely cool!!! :crafty:

Back
Top Bottom