Need help locating provider on Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glashoppah

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
3 advanced open water divers arriving in Maui soon and would like to plan a day of diving on Sunday Nov 2nd. We're looking for 2-tank morning, lunch on board, then 2-tank afternoon.

Any recommendations? Hard to tell on the Web who is good and who isn't.

Any suggestions for crossposting, please make them. :)

Thanks,

H.

Not many operators do afternoon charters on Maui. I'm thinking that only Maui Dive Shop and Lahaina Divers would do what you're asking (sans lunch on board, though Lahaina Divers does provide food between dives). Of those two ops, I'd always choose Lahaina Divers, and being low season you may have the boat mostly to yourselves, so I'd doubt overcrowding will be any issue. The nice thing about Lahaina Divers is that you could easily find a nice lunch walking distance in Lahaina between the morning and afternoon charters, so wouldn't necessarily have to do lunch on board. FYI, Sunday is when Lahaina Divers goes to Lanai in the morning, which is always a great place to dive.

Hi,

Ed Robinson's has a 3-tank Molokini dive trip ... 2 dives on the Molokini crater, 1 dive elsewhere. We did this when we were visiting Maui in August, it was very fun, and a good operation.

After that, it usually gets a bit rough on the west side, as the afternoon winds come up.

Cheers,
W

After that, it usually gets a bit rough on the west side, as the afternoon winds come up.

Just to clear up any confusion; ER's Molokini trips are South Maui (Kihei boat ramp, Molokini, Makena, Wailea). The West Side is Lahaina, Ka'anapali, Kahana, Kapalua, and the afternoon winds do not affect the West Side waters in the same way that the South Maui waters are affected.

And to clarify further, Ed Robinson's 3-tank charter is back at the boat ramp by about 1:00, which isn't quite what the OP is asking for. Also, the 3-tank charter doesn't always do 2 tanks at Molokini, sometimes just one. We've been on that charter quite a few times where we did 2 S. Maui dives and 1 Molokini.

Have you considered maybe doing two dives off a boat in the morning, grabbing some lunch, then picking up two shore dives in the afternoon? This would allow you to better regulate your schedule, since there isn't any (to the best of my knowledge) 1-day liveaboard-type option like you're looking for.

I think Pro diver does back to back charters sometimes... Maybe you could bring a lunch and put it in your car... eat it on the boat on the way out... then do you 2nd dives...

Give them a call see if you can arrange it:

Prodiver Maui SCUBA Diving Molokini Maui (they are south maui)

I think Dive Maven had a good suggestion for Lahainadivers on the west side (they do multi charters too)

Scuba Dive Hawaii with the Best

maybe they would let you eat your lunch on the boat in the boat ramp or dock... :)

Sean

You're right, Sean, Pro Diver sometimes does back-to-back charters.

But I don't think they qualify as AM / PM charters. Since Pro Diver is one of the first boats out of the docks (before 7), they're back around 10, a quick turn-around has them back from the second charter by around 1.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I've booked with Lahaina. They seem to be complete pros, with a well-done website, very rapid attention to email inquiries and plenty of follow-up.

H.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom