Need help from a diver. Reward offered.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey guys - We will be pulling boats out for the winter soon so we won’t be able to take anyone out to look for this. So I am giving directions on how to get there and whoever wants to look for it, have at it. Please understand that this is my property and I am not giving up my ownership of it. You get the reward, I get my property back.

If you can get there by GPS navigation, I marked the spot on my handheld GPS. It said –

N34 17.628
W083 52.552

I tried to pull those coordinates up on a GPS map and they formatted a little differently. If you look at Latitude and Longitude of a Point You can put in latitude 34 degrees, 17 minutes, 38 seconds, Longitude -83 degrees 52 minutes, 33 seconds . That will get you a nice map and you can zoom in and out to get your bearings.

You can put in at Gainesville Marina and it’s just a couple of minutes away by boat. If you see the “jumping rock”, you know you are in the right cove. When you are at the right spot, you should be directly across from a single slip dock. You can see that dock on the map. The docks on both sides of it are double slip so you will know when you see the right one. If you are looking at the dock, you should see points of the shore on your left and right. You should be almost inline with both those points.

PM me if you have any questions or want my phone number.

Thanks,
Rich

By the way, if you plan to go out, I would recomend sending me a pm a couple of days in advance to get my phone number. That way if you find the piece, you can call me and we will meet up to trade cash for T-Bar.

And I should also mention that I will post here the same day as someone tells me they found the piece. So if I haven't posted, it's still down there.

Sorry, but one more thing I should post for anyone who goes looking on their own. The edges of the wings are a bit sharp. Not like knife blades, more like a boat prop. Just use a little caution when handling it and / or putting it in your boat. Also it's fairly easy to damage the edges of the wings since they are aluminum. The long bar part is not sharp and is easy to handle.

Sorry Rich. I didn't have any luck with the fish finder sonar today. I really had my doubts but wanted to give it a shot just the same.
Jim

It's getting to be dead of winter so whoever is nuts enough to go diving this time of year may have a little visibility. So I'm bumping the thread. I don't have a boat available now to take anyone out but pm me if you want some clarification to the GPS map info I had posted earlier. Thanks,
Rich

Attachments

• fishtv1.jpg
    fishtv1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 191
Kewl toy!

I got a new toy too except the one I got is a Marcum underwater viewing system. I went out before the snow hit and ran that camera up and down the area where the T bar went in. I looked for over 3 hours. Didn't see it. I even dove 2 tanks when I thought I saw something that looked like it. The visibility in summer was 6 inches. Now it is about 1ft and 6 inches. So the camera is only seeing about a foot in front of it. Not sure why it's so bad there. Anyway, I'm really starting to think that some dishonest soul picked up the thing and kept it for themselves. I'm really sorry Rich. I will try one more time but I'm gonna wait for it to warm up. I nearly got frostbite in my fingers from the last time.

Hey Redwing - Thanks for all the effort looking for it. Honestly I don't think anyone has picked it up. If someone did, they would try to sell it on one of a couple of forums, or on ebay. I would have seen it for sale either way. Not much of any other way to sell it that would get a better price there than I am offering for a reward. And I doubt we have a dishonest diver / foiler running around that is keeping it instead of selling it. Frustrating as it is, it's still down there.

Back
Top Bottom