Need help choosing a new computer, read this

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was reading several weeks ago that the new zoop has guage mode...

even if it does, MSRP is still $300, and with the new distributor setup, we won't be able to take advantage of gray market aqualung products through leisurepro where it is currently $200. So you spend an extra $60 and lose the bungee mount which is much better than a rubber strap, and lose multi gas option. Doesn't make sense. It's not a bad computer, but MSRP should be $150 instead of $300, and it still only has a single gas. People say multi gasses aren't that big of a deal, but what if you are pushing NDL's, you are on nitrox and your buddy is on air, or the hang bottle is a different mix than what you have. It's a lot better/safer to be able to switch to the gas you are actually breathing for accurate decompression information and that is why I will never recommend single gas computers regardless of any intention to get into multi-gas dive profiles. If you are diving with a buddy with sharing air as your escape route, then you are planning a multi gas dive, and you can't always guarantee they will be the same mix.

I really liked all the information posted here and it has given me a lot to think about. I was wondering what dive watch people would recommend with air integration... I am thinking that before too long I would like to get the petrel. But for a basic lake dive I wouldn't mind having something a little more basic and that could be worn as a watch as well... Thoughts?

if you want a daily wear watch, I'd really hold out to see what Scubapro does with the H3 from Seabear. It's really the only one that you can wear as a watch every day since it looks like most of the smart watches out there. AI really limits you on computer selection though

Will Deep 6 offer an A.I. option?

How many people having to switch to a buddy's gas supply, or a hang tank, would mess with trying to change the gas on the computer almost immediately? And how many would know how to do it? Speaking of divers who'd generally buy a single gas computer, of course, doing recreational diving, not tech. I can see the utility for those who would, but I suspect they're a small minority.

I really liked all the information posted here and it has given me a lot to think about. I was wondering what dive watch people would recommend with air integration... I am thinking that before too long I would like to get the petrel. But for a basic lake dive I wouldn't mind having something a little more basic and that could be worn as a watch as well... Thoughts?

I have the Oceanic Atom 3.0 with AI. I love it. It's 1 year old and has been completely reliable (including the AI). I also have a Petrel 2. I dive with the Atom on every dive. I only take the Petrel when I need to because it's a deco (training, so far) dive or if decide I want to have a backup computer along. The brick-like form factor of the Petrel is annoying to me, which is why I don't take it in the water unless I need to.

Also, the current version of the Atom (the 3.1) is essentially the same. Current price runs about $900, with an AI transmitter and USB cable. But, I think if you shop around and are patient, you could potentially find one for a lot less. I only paid $550 for my whole Atom kit, from my local dive shop (who is an authorized retailer). They had a whole batch of the Atom 3.0s on clearance for that price when I bought mine. I doubt the 3.1 will be on clearance any time soon, but you might catch it on a sale or find a coupon. Or maybe even find a shop that still has old stock of the 3.0 they are blowing out.

How many people having to switch to a buddy's gas supply, or a hang tank, would mess with trying to change the gas on the computer almost immediately?

How many divers would be diving with a buddy on a different mix? Or, at least, a mix that is different enough to really want/need to do a gas switch on the computer? (I have gone out with EAN28 that I brought with me on boats where my buddy and everyone else had a shop fill of EAN30, but I can't see worrying about changing my computer for that small a difference that is only used for an ascent and safety stop)

I don't think D6 is going to go with AI. The ability for at least 2 gasses also allows the diver if they do start doing any sort of accelerated deco to use the computer instead of having to put it in gauge mode and run tables. It's just a buying decision that needs to be considered and unfortunately isn't which is why you see things like the zoop come up for sale when someone grew out of it. Stuarts point on the Atom is exactly that. If it was a single gas computer you would have to put it in gauge mode for the deco diving he's doing, and he would be forced to either run tables which many instructors aren't teaching any more and most divers don't have the patience for, or he would have to buy another computer. With the Atom, he only has to dive the petrel if he wants to, not because he has to.

Since A.I. has come up as an issue on this thread, might be worthwhile giving some attention to the 'pro.' side of it. Many people pay the money for it, and like it fine. A few thoughts:

1.) If your computer has A.I. & does downloads to PC, you can get that data input automatically. For those of us who log dives, do so on our computers, like to view dive profiles (e.g.: smooth vs. sawtoothed, did we ascend over-fast much, etc...) and get computed SAC rates, etc..., this is a really nice feature.

2.) While A.I. isn't 'necessary' for diving, lots of features on many of our cars aren't necessary for getting from point A to point B (e.g.: radio, AC), but are nice to have. And most people's diving isn't exactly 'necessary,' either.

3.) Whether the added expense is worthwhile or not is a personal decision. Do you have the extra money? What would you do with it if you didn't spend it on A.I.? Would you miss the rent? Blow it on something else?

4.) Most divers don't go into tech. and many never dive severely cold water - not diving multiple gasses or for that matter water in the mid. 30's. So multiple regulators don't become an issue.

5.) You can dive an A.I. computer & still own an analog SPG, if you care to have one.

6.) Wrist A.I. units are often sold without transmitters, so you can add one later if you wish, or not.

A.I. is a luxury of sorts, but it's one that's worthwhile to some (not all). Whether it's worthwhile to you only you can decide.

As for wrist vs. console, I dive both. My console is an old Cobalt 1, and while it was pricey, it's got an interface I love. I've learned to tuck it into the crook of an elbow, so I don't clip it off & on every time I want to glance at it.

Richard.

4.) Most divers don't go into tech. and many never dive severely cold water - not diving multiple gasses or for that matter water in the mid. 30's. So multiple regulators don't become an issue.

Oh, yeah, I meant to mention before... I've done some dives near an hour long in water that was 38F or so degrees. My Atom worked fine, including the AI. I always download all my dives into Subsurface so I can review my gas consumption data. I've never even noticed any funny looking spots in my logged data that would make me think I had a significant transmitter dropout.

My Atom is 1 year old this month. I guess I'll go ahead and put new batteries in the computer and transmitter to make sure I have another trouble-free year of diving with it. :)

I never thought about it but one thing I hope to do either this winter our next is I've diving in Minnesota where I'm from. I never thought about the second reg need. Have any of you had problems cold water diving with computers or ai. I have been diving for 2 years renting all the way so I don't have the constant use on a single one two have noticed any problems.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

---------- Post added December 8th, 2015 at 01:42 PM ----------

Sorry I meant ice* diving.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

1. 100% agreed
2. agreed
3. agreed
4. agreed
5. agreed
6. agreed

The issue is outside of the Seabear H3 which doesn't have a transmitter yet, and the Suunto Eon Steel which is idiotically expensive, none of the computers are really suited for technical diving at a high level. The Cobalt is, but it's not particularly reliable, and it's enormous, and restricted to a single gas supply for the AI. Trust me, I would love to have AI for my technical diving, especially in a HUD where I could see both gas supplies, but the computer manufacturers haven't figured out how to make the transmitters cheap or small enough to make it worthwhile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom