Need Dive Gear Help - New 2 Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe than most any computer module can be mounted in a console boot whether it is air integrated or not. If you avoid AI you will need SPG anyway and will therefore have a console hanging. Only way to avoid that would be a unit such as Suunto Vytec, which is AI and runs with a remote transmitter. You could always clip the unit off onto you BC if you don't want to wrist mount.

Yoda,

I have the Cobra. It's great, I love it and it's nice to be able to have it figure out you SAC rate. Since your new to diving air mgt will be something your going to have to learn and the Cobra will give you real time info based on how much your breathing and at what depth as to how much air you have left in both PSI and min. I think this is a good tool as for learning and helps me to be better aware.

I also have a Viper, same as the cobra but not AI and you can get it in wrist mt or consul but you'll have to have an SPG and learn quicker about air mgt. If your budget will allow I'd get the Cobra but nothing wrong with the Viper and costs less.

As a 3erd option replace your watch with a stinger it will serve as your watch out of water and will have the same features as the Viper. The drawback is that they cost and have a smaller screen so a bit harder to read.

Once I got my Cobra I haven't used my viper since. When I get back I hook it up to my computer d/l the profile and fill out the all the blanks just like my paper dive log. Then I can go back and update my log with all the nice stuff like SAC also you get a graph of your dive which can be a real eye opener as to how flat a profile you actualy dive (read bouyancy)

PS for a watch I have a Citizen Hyperaquland while not a computer is realy nice and makes a great backup as a bottom timer. As far as the raider I posted a response to your question in the BC forum since I have and dive one.

Good luck with your choices

Geek.

Geek

I have both the Raider and the Mk25/S600. Both are great. And when you comapre apple to apples the scuba pro reg isn't all that pricy. With scuba pro's new pricing they seem to be a real bargin when compared to the offerings from Atomic, Aqua Lung, and the retail prices of Apeks. Truthfully, when I tried an apeks I didn't really care for the way it breathed. If you would like to save some money you should look at the Atomic Z1. In my opinion it breaths nearly as well as the Scuba Pro. I also considered the Aqua Lung Titan, which breathed very well for the price, but I like the adjustability of my S600 or the Z1.

I too posted a reply to your inquiry in the bc section, but the to recap the Raider is a nice piece and very cushy and comfortable. However it is a litle bulky and will prove difficult to pack on my honeymoon in Bonaire this coming summer.

As far as the computer goes, I chose not to go the AI route. I looked at the Aeris Atmos 2, Suunto Vyper, and the Uwatec Smart Pro all in a wrist mount configuration. I bought the Uwatec as it seemed to offer the most advancements in technology and it is very easy to read.

Just my two cents.

The Mk25/S600 is an outstanding reg, probably the best one out there. I dive one and think its great. The R380 would make a good backup reg.

BC: I am biased a bit but, check out a Backplate (BP) and Wing before you make a final decision. Do a search here for more info. (Search for "BP", "DIR" or "Backplate")

Computer: Wait. I don't recommend computers to people new to SCUBA. Learn the dive tables forwards and backwards, then think about a computer.

I know this is off-topic, but may I ask why you recommend waiting? My wife and I got certified through SDI and although we learned the tables we also learned how to use the computer for diving since it is becoming so prevalent. This is only for recreational (NDL) diving. We haven't really gone over the tables since we've been certified and have always assumed the dive computer as an integral part of our dive gear. I'm curious as to what we are missing and whether SDI's decision to teach computers over tables is a poor one.

TIA
Paul

I recommend waiting for a lot of reasons. If someone is new to SCUBA, they really need to practice the dive tables after the completion of class. The tables let you see what is really going on based on your particular time and profile. When people use tables, they seem to be better in terms of planning their dive and diving their plan. This way they get good dive planning habits and are more likely to stick to them later. Computers dumb things down a bit. They take the thought out of the whole process. New divers do not nead this at all.

New divers are usually not comfortable with even their basic gear. Dive computers are either not used properly or ignored. "What's that beeping?" they ask...it's them...they're clueless on how the computer works. What if the computer breaks down? Give them a table and they are clueless. I've seen Instructors who have not used a table in a while who look just as confused as the students. Money is a big factor too. The student has probably just spent a fortune on other gear, now he thinks that an expensive dive computer is necessary. A dive computer is a luxury, not a necessity. I think a lot of agencies are going to computers as a way to dumb things down and help increase revenue for shops.

Computers are fine to use after you have completed numerous dives planned with the tables. By then you have probably developed good dive planning skills. A computer to someone new does not help them develop proper dive planning skills. One of my students insisted on getting a computer. I had him plan the dives with a table, and just use the computer as a bottom timer. Once he gets really proficient with dive planning using a table and sticking to the plan (proper depth, proper time), using a computer is no problem. People get in trouble because of the freedom a computer allows or their lack of understanding on how the computer works.

yoda4x4 once bubbled...
I would like to get into tech diving eventually. However, being a realistic person, I know that's not in the near future. The LDS recommended the Raider because it's a hybrid rec and tech BC. Plus, I can eventually use it to attach a backplate and twin tanks.

Zoinks. Go backplate then, you can prolly pick up a Halcyon rig for less that a Raider. Or mabye a Zeagle ranger. The Ranger LTD is a fine BC. I've sen the Raider and tried one. All I can say is no,no,no,no,no I hated it. Can the bladder BE bigger?

As for the Scubapro reg, they simply stated that it's one of the best regs on the market and is capable of being a reg for tech diving.
SP "is" good gear, but there's gear out ther that equal but costs less. Mares Ruby, Zeagle Flathead VI, Atomic, Apex ATX200

As for the Cobra, I've been told from the LDS that it is a tech capable computer. Plus, since I wear a watch on my left hand, I'm not a big fan of having a wrist mounted computer on my right. This may be something to reconsider. Can you recommend another computer capable of tech diving but not wrist mounted?

I have a Cobra and a mosquito, and they aren't tech computers. They are way to conservative. The Vytec is closer only because of the 3 mixes you can program into it, but wrist mount (you can put it on a retracter though) and just as conservative, although they all go into guage mode.

I don't want to answer for electric Zombie, but for my two cents worth I will have to agree with him...Too many times have I witnessed a diver (newbie and veteran alike) have a 'puter crap out on them. Sometimes this happens before the dive, between dives, or after. The basic knowledge that should have been taught VERY thoughly in any class (doesn't matter which agency) should be tables. Yes a computer does all the math for you, yes I dive a 'puter, but I still double check everything with tables.
Know, sometimes I have the tendacy of being a little preachy , especially when it comes to agencies or instructors trying to convince thier students that diving is completely safe...this couldn't be further from the truth. Being under water is the ultimate in IDLH atmospheres (Immediately Dangerous to Life and Health), you run out of gas, you are gonna be breathing water, making an emergency accent, sharing air, etc... this isn't the best of things to happen. We can learn to dive safer/safely, but you can't eliminate the hazards associated with it.
Just because you aren't a "tekkie" doesn't mean that you shouldn't be knowledgeable in tables.
I hope I am not coming off stern with this post, that isn't my intent, just throwing in my two cents in from things I have learned...alot the hard way.

Anyways, dive safe, learn your tables forward and backwards for this will just make you a more knowledgable diver in the end.

Thanks for listening, hope it didn't sound like a rant.

Chuck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom