Need backup computer advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you calculated the mathematical odds of a double computer failure on the same trip, you would not make such a lame argument. Hint: square the odds of a single failure, a frick'in big number.

It wasn't an argument of a double failure :rofl3:

All I said was that had anyone considered what they'd do if their back up failed. You're back on gauges anyway.

In the suposition I made - only one computer failed. You need to read more closely. Nowhere did I say both failed.

Lame argument? Sounds like you're looking more for a fight than to think through the problem my friend... :no:

Last edited:
I ordered the Aeris Manta, and i'm going to use it as my primary, and let my XR2 be my backup........i'll keep my eye on it.......it has a new o ring,new battery........it shouldn't leak again. The new Manta has a much lower profile, less bulky. i'll probably attach the XR2 to a Dring on my BC and see how it does for a week of diving. One of you commented that the XR2 may eventually leak again. or that it will and i'll end up having to toss it. So, i'm prepared for that eventuality. thanks all.

It wasn't an argument of a double failure :rofl3:

All I said was that had anyone considered what they'd do if their back up failed. You're back on gauges anyway.

In the suposition I made - only one computer failed. You need to read more closely. Nowhere did I say both failed.

Lame argument? Sounds like you're looking more for a fight than to think through the problem my friend... :no:

You stated "Doesn't that mean you need to have some backup for the backup?"

That implies you are planning for a double failure as a realistic possibility. I can read fine.

That implies you are planning for a double failure as a realistic possibility. I can read fine.

Oh yea... I clearly see where I said you need another computer or both computers failed. :rofl3:

In response to GrumpyOldGuy:

jhelmuth wrote (emphasis on grammar, abbreviation, and spelling)

Have anyone here considered "what if" the backup computer fails? Doesn't that mean you need to have some backup for the backup? With gauges (a bit more reliable and you can't "bend" them) I don't see how that is an issue. IE - even if the gauge fails, you can replace it instantly without interuption to any of your dive plans. Not so with a "backup" computer (you'd just be doing the same thing as having backup gauges in the first place).

To which GrumpyOldGuy responded:

Which was followed by a scathing retort:

Oh yea... I clearly see where I said you need another computer or both computers failed. :rofl3:

Yes, pal, you did state sarcastically that: (1) a backup should be required for a backup; and (2) you specifically mentioned "backup computer" in the previous sentence. Let's look at this in terms of syllogistic reasoning:

1. All backups need backups (universal affirmative);
2. All backup computers form a subset of backups (universal affirmative, not specifically stated by you, but no sane person would deny this);

therefore Barbara (look it up):

3. All backup computers need backups.

Truth be told, you didn't say that backup computers need backup computers, but you did say (through two related statements, both referring to backups and one referring to backup computers) that backup computers require backups.

Rather than arguing syllogistic reasoning with me, please refer to Syllogism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia as it is a pretty good synopsis.

You know... you can twist it how you want. I'm good because I know what I wrote and you want it to be an inferance - fine.... it's your perogative.

So let me re-state it so it's more clear to some folks who need it more black and white.

If you use a computer as a backup to another computer, and the backup fails (now I only have my primary), then I'm now left with no back up. So this means that I either go to gauges (which can be replaced at ANY time without interuption to my dive schedule), or I have to have a 3rd computer so that if ONE fails I still have a backup.

There... is that now crystal clear?

All the best!

Jim

You know... you can twist it how you want. I'm good because I know what I wrote and you want it to be an inferance - fine.... it's your perogative.

So let me re-state it so it's more clear to some folks who need it more black and white.

If you use a computer as a backup to another computer, and the backup fails (now I only have my primary), then I'm now left with no back up. So this means that I either go to gauges (which can be replaced at ANY time without interuption to my dive schedule), or I have to have a 3rd computer so that if ONE fails I still have a backup.

There... is that now crystal clear?

All the best!

Jim

Sorry, you added nothing of value to this discussion, you may wish to try again, or simply refrain. Go back and review why some of us dive with a backup computer under certain circumstances. A double computer failure would be exceedingly, exceedingly, rare. If one failed, we'd only have one left, one more than you would have, with no interuption of our diving plan. No one is trying to convince you to change your own habits.

Good diving, Craig

There is and never was the suggestion of a double computer failure.

How many times does it have to be said? Do you all just want to try to pick a fight?

From where I sit - you're trying to pick a fight where there is none is adding nothing to the discussion.

Want to add something? Answer the question... what would you do in case ONE of the computers (backup or primary) failed half-way through you dive vacation?

There is and never was the suggestion of a double computer failure.

How many times does it have to be said? Do you all just want to try to pick a fight?

From where I sit - you're trying to pick a fight where there is none is adding nothing to the discussion.

Want to add something? Answer the question... what would you do in case ONE of the computers (backup or primary) failed half-way through you dive vacation?

Use the other one and enjoy the rest of the trip.

Good diving, Craig

Slightly OT, but some of this discussion reminds me of Segal's Law:

“The man with one watch knows what time it is. The man with two is never sure"
How about, "The man with one watch thinks he knows what time it is, the man with two has an idea of how far off he is."

Back
Top Bottom