Need backup computer advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As wonderful as SB can be, it is all too easy to let threads degenerate into pissing contest where we all end up smelling bad with pee all over our feet. Been there, done that....

Lets move on to a nice easy topic, say spare air or split fins.:D

...dive buddy's computer won't be of much use to you if you get separated from each other.....

This is another probablilty issue. The chance of having a computer failure during a dive and losing my buddy is very low. So it is not worth it to me to take both computers on the dive. If it failed I would wear the backup in my bag. Of course that requries keeping track of what you are doing, which you should be anyway.

As wonderful as SB can be, it is all too easy to let threads degenerate into pissing contest where we all end up smelling bad with pee all over our feet. Been there, done that....

Lets move on to a nice easy topic, say spare air or split fins.:D

I agree. However, don't forget deep air and PADI OW training. :) Oh, and can anyone suggest a nice BC for me? I'd like something with integrated weights. :)

Why do people worry so much about what others use for backup?

If you think that two computers are the cat's meow, then go for it.

If you think that a computer and a set of gauges are da shiznit, then go for it.

If you think that one computer with SPG or one AI computer is dandy, then go for it.

Big whoopdeedooo. Drama over nothing.

That's scubaboard for ya! :D

I agree. However, don't forget deep air and PADI OW training. :) Oh, and can anyone suggest a nice BC for me? I'd like something with integrated weights. :)

NO! If you don't get a backplate and wing, you certainly will DIE!
:D

NO! If you don't get a backplate and wing, you certainly will DIE!
:D

Thanks for saving my life! How about a nice bungeed wing with a redundant bladder? How much lift do I need for singles? About 90 pounds? :)

This is another probablilty issue. The chance of having a computer failure during a dive and losing my buddy is very low. So it is not worth it to me to take both computers on the dive. If it failed I would wear the backup in my bag. Of course that requries keeping track of what you are doing, which you should be anyway.

Screw that! I just swim up to someone in the pack, check depth (making sure I'm not "too" deep) then swim away for a while. I check my spg and when I hit 500 I head (fast) for the anchor line and UP I go..
Ya see, no need for fancy equipment. :D

Thanks for saving my life! How about a nice bungeed wing with a redundant bladder? How much lift do I need for singles? About 90 pounds? :)

Oh brother! You're worried about the wrong things. Strap on two spare air's and you're good to go. That's all you need to know... Now jump in, have fun, come back when you hit 500PSI. :D

so between the Oceanic VT3 and the DiveRite NiTek Trio, which is one is the most conservative?

If the 2 computers you are using are different the inevitable thing that will happen is that one will get bent if you stay down according to the more liberal one. I usually dive with a Citizen watch that has depth and elapsed time [bezel and all the neat stuff, but is not a computer], and the battery went bad on the watch. So I borrowed a computer from the boat captain "just to be extra safe" and sure enough my regular computer kept me down longer than the borrowed one did. Needless to say, the captain was very upset and rightly so, since I went with my standard computer profile and his got bent. Nothing was accomplished on this except to insult a good samaritan. Of course, the other alternative is to end your dive when the more conservative computer tells you it is time, and then your buddy will be annoyed since their computer likely shows them having a good deal of additional bottom time available. Conclusion: avoid this duplication.

Back
Top Bottom