Need an Advice AI Wrist Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

is99

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I need an advice, I'm looking for AI wrist computer.
I'm not a big fan of small computers like D6i.
I sow the new Aeris A300 CS OLED, but I'm afraid that its too new and will have too much bugs
Been thinking about Mares Icon HD, but this one is too old :)

Anyway would like to hear your oppinions

You're not giving us much to go on. ALL manufactures have a wrist mount that fits your needs based on the limited information provided. Most of the wrist mount units are made by the same few companies and are private labeled.

I suggest you go to a LDS with your mask. Put your mask on and try the computers on. See how well you can view the display with your mask on in daylight and dark (with back lighting on). After you find the ones that are comfortable wearing and viewing, you can take into account the features you want, past AI. Then make a choice based on what you can afford.

Here are some suggestions that are larger than the 'watch sized' units.

Oceanic VT4.1 / Suunto Vyper AI

If I were going to choose a new computer, AI would last on my list of features I would be looking at.

Things I would consider:
1. Can I see the display easily in day/night/low visibility and does color make a difference. (kind of important..:wink:)
2. Does the computer meet my diving needs (Air/Nitrox/Tri-Mix/gas switching during dives)
3. How does the algorithm deal with multiple dives and deco requirements (the conservative debate) and are safety stops programable including deep stops.
4. How much user flexibility do I have with the algorithm(s)
5. How easy is it to use and run through the menus and program before the dive as well as during the dive
6. Does it have a dive planner built in and is it quick and easy to use
7. How does it fix on my arm or wrist
8. How easy is it to change the battery and what type. Recharging issues and time.
9. Manufactures warranty
10. Cost and ease of upgrades
11. User review of know issues and fixes
12. How easy does it download the data to the computer and what 3rd party programs easily accept the data
13. Cost
14. AND LAST does it have AI and how well does it work

IMHO, AI is nice, but not necessary. I have this feature on my OC1 and use it as a back up to my SPG. I find the reading to be about 150-200 psi lower than my SPG reading (my guess is the lawyers made them do this). The only features of the AI that I really find useful is the estimated air time left, the fact that I get a quick snapshot of air data when I look at my computer and there is an alarm that is user set to a PSI remaining.

And lastly look to buy used. You will usually save 1/2 or get twice the computer for your budget.

At the price range you are suggesting another option is the Scubapro Galileo Sol. Enormous display (not color but VERY readable), excellent AI, excellent compass. There is nothing "old" about the ICON HD. All computers run pretty well established algorithms and a model that has a good track record of years is, in my view, a very good choice. There is nothing inherently better about a "newer" model except for maybe the color display and, as you note, newer models might have as yet undefined or undiscovered bugs.

And, do and consider all of the things in the excellent post above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom