need advice on my first regulator rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gesguerra

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hello masters and buddies. open water diver here, and i'm into buying my first rig. need your advice please.

i'm being offered this set for around 16000 PHP (or 335 USD):
1st stage - Mares MR12
2nd stage primary - Mares Proton (that non-metal one)
2nd stage secondary - Oceanic Alpha 8 yellow
SPG and Depth Console - can't remember the brand clearly, but I think it's "Mega Sport" or "World Sport", somethin like that; PSI/feet

Mares and Oceanic are ok with me, but is it any good to have different brands for the 2nd stages? and i'm a bit unsure about the brand of the console too...

any inputs are very much appreciated :D

Mares-MR12-Proton.jpg

Oceanic-Alpha-8.jpg

yes it is fine to have different brands. however servicing your reg system may cause you some problems if at the time of servicing the shop does not service a particular brand.

so ask your Local Dive Shop if they can service the reg system you are acquiring.

yes it is fine to have different brands. however servicing your reg system may cause you some problems if at the time of servicing the shop does not service a particular brand.

so ask your Local Dive Shop if they can service the reg system you are acquiring.

thanks for the insight paolo... i'm still quite giving the spg/depth console's brand a shrug. i wasn't able to inspect it long enough, i just remember i saw something like "Mega Sport" or "World Sport" branded to it...

maybe it's good to just get the regulators from this package and purchase a separate console? cheers

Ges, from my experience most divers in the Philippines use metric/Bar consoles. I would advise getting a console with these units rather than imperial as it will make comparisons much easier while diving in the Philippines! Even if it costs a few extra $. The primary (Mares MR12 and proton is excellent). It very a very simple and reliable reg. My girlfriend has one and it breathes great event at 130 feet! And no nob to adjust... Just dive...

As for the octo, why not find out if the dive shop can swap out for a Mares Proton? They aren't very expensive. I'm sure that one is fine, but find out what it costs for a Mares? It might be around the same...

Have fun shopping!:coffee:

I agree with paolov, mixed brands is alright when you can get it serviced at your local dive shop. Also ask yourself if you'd be happy to have that rig for a long time, or you just plan on using it as your first regulator set then sell it off when you're more addicted to the sport.

here's what i usually consider when buying dive gear:

1. Safety - will it help me dive safer?
2. Comfort - do I feel comfortable using/wearing it?
3. Service - will the local dive shops have available parts to service the equipment when the need arises?
4. Brand - is it a reliable brand? are there divers who have been using the same model and are happy with it?
5. Cost - will my wife allow me to buy that particular dive gear?

double post. sorry.

btw, that SPG must be Mega Sport. got one like it, been using it for a year. bought it cheap...and need to replace it soon.

Last edited:
Ges, from my experience most divers in the Philippines use metric/Bar consoles. I would advise getting a console with these units rather than imperial as it will make comparisons much easier while diving in the Philippines! Even if it costs a few extra $. The primary (Mares MR12 and proton is excellent). It very a very simple and reliable reg. My girlfriend has one and it breathes great event at 130 feet! And no nob to adjust... Just dive...

As for the octo, why not find out if the dive shop can swap out for a Mares Proton? They aren't very expensive. I'm sure that one is fine, but find out what it costs for a Mares? It might be around the same...

Have fun shopping!:coffee:

I'll consider that buddy. From the replies i'm getting, I guess I won't go wrong with the Mares proton. Thanks.

I agree with paolov, mixed brands is alright when you can get it serviced at your local dive shop. Also ask yourself if you'd be happy to have that rig for a long time, or you just plan on using it as your first regulator set then sell it off when you're more addicted to the sport.

here's what i usually consider when buying dive gear:

1. Safety - will it help me dive safer?
2. Comfort - do I feel comfortable using/wearing it?
3. Service - will the local dive shops have available parts to service the equipment when the need arises?
4. Brand - is it a reliable brand? are there divers who have been using the same model and are happy with it?
5. Cost - will my wife allow me to buy that particular dive gear?

Thanks for the time man. Yeah I'm sure later on I might get even more addicted, but for now I think this will be fine with me, just wanna enjoy the sport first. Maybe I'll cross the bridge when I get there. Went to the shop last weekend, they say they do service both brands, well I hope in the future it stays that way. It's somehow a reputable shop anyway. Regarding your five pointers, I'm happy I'm done with #5 to begin with (wifey already gave the yes). hehehe. Again, thanks! I'll keep those in mind...

btw, yeah saw Mega Sport's website [www.mega-sport.com], it's Italian made, but can't find any reviews. Was it any good having it? Have you had any troubles with it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom