need advice on key largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba41girl

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm just about to lose it. I'm trying to plan a semi-dive vacation. Both of my kids dive but only want 2 dives every other day so cozumel and bonaire are out. I'm not paying 10 grand for a few dives. Besides cozumel makes you hire a DM. I am a DM so why do need to hire one :confused: Anyway, I need some recommendations on where to stay in Key Largo and how the diving is for a 10 year old. So far we are looking at the marriot or holiday inn. Who is a reputable dive shop to go through? Any advice?

also this is x-mas week so how is the weather there in dec?

that I'm familiar with are reputable; but december diving is "hit-or-miss", depending on the timing of winter cold fronts. Surface conditions can be rough, especially for a ten year old, but are usually diveable. Depths at the reef are typically in the 20-40' range.

The Holiday Inn and Marriott are both nice. The Mariott is a little more upscale. The Holiday Inn is more centrally located. Accommodations are pricey during the holidays.

You may want to make your reservations as soon as possible....I tried to book a room for some family members--and the rooms are booking quickly!

Pat

When I go to Key Largo, I stay at the Sheraton beach Club resort mile marker 97. Clean, not too expesnive (less than the marriott by about a third), nice beach (not common in key largo) with water sports available on site, with good dining. Nice pool, rooms are a good size. Beach front room about 120 or so a night for two queen beds.

I dive out of Ocean Divers, MM 100. They do two tank am and pm dives, about 65$ per person for two dives I think. Boats are nice, although they can get crowded in summer. I was just there last weekend, had about nine to ten people on each trip.

Weather and viz were perfect, but I've been there in five to six foot seas and half the boat sick, too. Keep an eye on the Molasses reef buoy data on the national Weather service website. It gives the local wind speed and direction, air temp and water temp. The days when the wind is less than 10 kts and from the north or east, great. If the wind is 15 kts or more and from the south, it's fish feeding time. The water temp will give you an idea of the exposure protection needed.

Look up an instructor named larry gates. He is a professional guide, very nice, very reasonably priced who knows the reefs like the back of his hand. he might help with the younger divers... he also takes great photos of your dive... check out his website larrygates.com

My Husband and I just got home from Key Largo. We stayed at the Suites of Key Largo. They are very nice and inexpensive. They are two level suites that have a kitchen and a balcony. They are also located right beside Horizon Divers which is a very good dive shop. The owner and the mates of the shop have and love children. They would probably go to some really great dive spots for a 10 yr. old.

Oh, and several more suggestions: make sure to go to the John Pennekamp park, very nice aquarium and some so-so shore snorkelling... and consider one of the "dive with dolphins" experiences. These dolphin dives are a bit pricey and touristy, but my daughters loved it. i enjoyed it to, being pushed around at high speed by two dolphins was kind of thrilling. But these spaces are limited and fill up very quickly.

The best resort in Key Largo is by far Coconut Bay/Bay Harbor Lodge.(www.coconutbaykeylargo.com/) If you want to get the full 'Keys effect', do not stay at a 'commercial' hotel. The pictures on their site don't go it justice. It is so peaceful and beautiful. It is right on the Gulf and has it's own private beach with free kayaks and a paddleboat and the rooms are spotless. We rent a suite with two queen beds and a single pull-out loveseat and a full kitchen with dining table for six for $125 in the summer, which is the same price or cheaper than surrounding hotels that are not even close to as nice. (some years ago we had a bad experience by booking a hotel on-line and toured all the motels/hotels in Key Largo so that would never happen again) Every time we have stayed there we have seen manatee right off their dock, and last time we were there (Aug 06) we kayaked out to them, and you will be staying during manatee season. (Nov - March) They also allow dogs in some of their rooms. We went with my 18 yr old sister and 15yr old brother, (neither one of them dive) and they both had fun just kayaking and feeding the resident squirrels. Both of them also went with us on the dive boat, where they snorkeled. We went out of Keys Dive Center - they have a nice boat and the crew is good, but nothing to rave about. Dive out of John Pennekamp is always nice. The weather in December is iffy (we live an hour and a half north of Key Largo, so we know!) - it could be 50 degrees or 80 degrees, the water is usually relatively warm (just bring maybe a windsuit for the surface interval), but it is a bit rougher than usual in the winter, but it should still be OK. Let me know if you want to see our pics.
Hope this helps!

Holiday Inn is a nice place to shack up. It's right by BlueWater Divers and not to far from Conch Republic (my two new favorite dive ops of Key Largo).

If you have the opportunity camp at Pennecamp.. its wonderful. :)

thanks for all of the comments. we are still looking into a few places there. a friend works for the marriott so we may get a special deal (woo hoo). my big concern now is the weather.

also, what is the spiegal grove like. i hear it has ripping currents. is it really that bad? i might as wel stay in jersey. lol

scuba41girl:
also, what is the spiegal grove like. i hear it has ripping currents. is it really that bad? i might as wel stay in jersey. lol

Sometimes ripping, sometimes mild. Don't even think of taking your 10-yr-old there. No reputable dive op will allow it anyway. Stick to the 30' reefs.

I love the Keys - been there 3 times in the past 16 months - but unless you can drive to the Keys I don't know why Cozumel should cost you much more. Certainly not ten grand. Weather will be much more reliable there that time of year.

Or maybe just wait for spring break.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom